Stainless Steel Gear Sleeves

Started by Limey, March 28, 2011, 01:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

Hi Alan,

Hope all well in the US and that the fish are biting.

Just a quick couple of questions for you as you really do seem to the THE MAN where reels are concerned.

Quite pleased with myself as I finally managed to get a couple of sets of Newell teflon / PTFE bearings for my Penn Surfmasters. They are solid plastic and I'm a bit worried they might not hold up the rigors of dragging heavier fish in rough surf or that they may not last too long. I don't lure fish with the reels but cast 6 0z weights and baits. Should I change back to the usual bushes if it looks like a lot of weed or heavy surf is anticipated?

Also do you stock or know anyone who does stock the stainless steel gear sleeves for the Surfmaster and Long Beach ranges?

Tight lines

Limey

Roger

Alan or MysticParts should have them for the longbeach, not real sure about the surfmaster. Hope that helps.......

\\"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

hope they the bushings weren't expensive.  i have some buried somewhere and would have send them to you for free.  tried them and didn't like them.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Limey

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the reply. I think I paid about $6 plus shipping for them and $16 for another 2 sets including shipping (all form the US). I'll just try them and see how they run. If they are no good then its back to the old bushings. The 100 Surfmasters that I run have been magged so cast great but seem to wear the bearings pretty quickly so I thought I'd try the PTFE type. I'll just take a set of bushes and the good old penn spanner with me when I fish.

Incidently has anyone else experienced problems with some of the handle side spool bearings being a bit too deep and allowing the spool to run too far to the right? I have had a couple of sets that have done this recently.

Also any idea about the stainless gear sleeves for a Surfmaster? I use a 200 with a mariner handle for dragging in conger eels so would appreciate a tougher gear sleeve.  ( I know,  I should be prosecuted for abuse of such a venerable and ancient reel  :o).

Its funny, work got short so all the Japanese reels have gone on e-bay and I'm left with three old Surfmasters and a 66 Long Beach and I have fallen in  love all over again! I can dismantle and service them with my eyes shut and still get parts and high performance bits from the US, I've magged the surf reels. How many modern reels could you tinker with like that. Its an addiction alright! ;D

Best of luck to all.

Limey

Norcal Pescador

Limey -
MysticParts.com shows a stainless steel gear sleeve (98-155) available for the 200.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/98-155AT.aspx

If you have an earlier 200M (chrome/brass spool) it could be a 98-60. Measure the outer points on the ratchet: .75" = 98-60   .60" = 98-155
See page 2 here:   https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/200m.pdf

Cheers,
Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Limey

j12

Hey Alan,

Wonderful site you have here. I'm amazed that someone actually took the time and effort to build a database of reel rebuilding knowledge to share. I've been reading a lot of your tutorials recently and have become interested in cleaning up my penn jigmaster 500l instead of treating it like a junk. Have a question about the stainless steel gear sleeve. What's the difference between the fine teeth and the coarse teeth. Also should I order the parts from you or from Scott's bait and tackle? Thank you Alan.

Jacky

Bryan Young

Hi Jacky

Some reels came with course threaded gear sleeves and some with fine threaded gear sleeves. Your star will determine which one you use.

Fine gear sleeves will allow you to creep up on the drag a lot better than the course one, but it is usually adjusted once when the reel is set-up, so may have little impact.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

j12

Thanks Bryan. In that case I'll probably just get the fine one. The questions remains. Do I order from Alan? or from Scotts?

Bryan Young

If the gear sleeves begin with AT in the part number, it comes from Alan either way.

If you are going to only order the gear sleeve, I would recommend ordering from Alan due to minimum shipping charges from MysticParts.  If you are going to order other times from MysticParts, go with MysticParts
Be sure you order the correct thread to match your star thread.  If you are changing to fine thread, then order a new star with fine thread pattern from MysticParts.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

j12

thanks bryan. I've done some research and i think the fine teeth sleeve is fine because i bought my penn in 2006. Should be the newer model. I will confirm it by opening the reel. Once i sort out what i want to order, I'll order from alan. Thanks.

Limey

Tried the teflon bearings in my Surfmaster and.......................................they were nothing special at all. Didn't really notice any difference. They rattled under hard casting just like the brass bushes and had a bit more of a tendency to overrun slightly at the end of the cast as I had added light oil as advised in the trade literature. Also they have no oil port so you can't add a spot of lube during a long session without taking the sideplate off the reel.

I'm going back to the old bushings with EP90 oil or Penn grease in them. As Alan said it's a good job I didn't pay a lot for them.

Best of luck to all the US of A.

Limey

alantani

as a general rule, i would rather that you guys support your local shop first.  in this economy, they need the business more then ever.  after that, smoothdrag, pennparts, and charkbait are the places i go to next.  then finally there are just some things that you HAVE to get from the manufacturer.  then finally there is me.  bryan knows.  there's tons of stuff scattered throughout the garage.  before i start turning the garage into a mail order place, it needs some serious organization.  for most stuff, i can barely even remember the prices, and the prices i can remember are usually rounded down because i like round numbers.  dollars i can handle, there is just not enough room in my brain for cents.  still, anything you guys need, if you can't find it easily otherwise, just let me know and i'll try to dig it out for you.  i know it's here, somewhere........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!