Inflatable Kayak?

Started by Balvar24, February 23, 2022, 04:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

Thinking about one to take out with the travel trailer.

Anyone have a Sea Eagle?  I really like the looks of the fast track models but wonder if the inflatable keel could be an issue paddling upstream?

Most of my paddling will be fresh flat water.

Suggestions?

PacRat

My neighbor has one and he loves it. He uses it in saltwater but only in the bays and harbors. He likes that he can stick it in the trunk of his car.

oc1

If you have the roof of a travel trailer to carry it on you should look into a normal molded kayak.  The inflatable increases your profile, any little bit of flex will have to be paid for with muscle power, and it will want to waddle instead of tracking striaght. 

Many shops have demo models for you to try and compare.

Gfish

Yeah. Good idea to test demos.
I have a 10' inflatable Inova. Slips water great, but does flex(bow to stern)with my 200+ lb. self and the slightly rounded bottom makes it "tippy" in rough water. Great for flat water, though, and goes right over surface kelp. Easy to get it back right-side-up and get back in, if I it turn over.
The Sea Eagle's I've seen, look like they'ed be pretty stable compared to mine.
Before I got it, I did the demo. on a different inflatable near the shop at Monterey Bay and quickly learned the hard way how to stay out of the surf—lost my sunglasses!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gobi King

What is that long orange inflatable the guys in the underwater river missing person recovery uses?
I like it, with a 2 hp honda, das fishing machinen ;-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

bchen

Balvar, I have an Advanced Elements 14' with the high PSI floor that I haven't used in ages.  If you're near Menlo Park, you're welcome to borrow it.

Inflatables, especially the bigger ones, are fine in fresh, flat water.  I used to take it out in Half Moon Bay, which was much sketchier.

Bill B

I had one when on living on the Sacramento River, I wasn't impressed.  It was harder to paddle than a rigid.  With two people in it there was lots of flex.  I could paddle a ridged against the current but struggled with the inflatable.  Maybe it was due to sitting lower inside the inflatable. If I was on a small lake or pond I could see using one, but if there is a strong current or a long way to travel, ridged would be my choice.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!