Where for art thou...... Shakespeare Marhoff Level Wind Model 1964

Started by cdaline, February 25, 2022, 12:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I'll second Steve's encouragement. They are simple and straightforward to work on. Take pictures if you think you might not remember the order of something. If you decide ti fish with it, or another one, you'll need to make it sparkle inside. To get the most out of it for casting, strip off all grease down to bare metal. Apply a small amount of grease on gear teeth. Oil for other moving parts, especially the spool spindle ends (beneath tension cups) and the levelwind mechanism. Keep these oiled for each day of fishing.

Wompus Cat

With Box and Papers, Receipt, and not all beat up I would shelf it as there are GOBS of others to take apart and fish .
In fact I will give your money back plus 3 more useable Marhoffs and pay shipping both ways if you are going just  to use this as a fishing Reel... ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

cdaline

Fellers... didn't mean to imply I was going to put the reel back
to work. Makes a great shelf sitter. Last night was sippin'
some Maker's Mark with the neighbors, brought out the
reel and shared the tale. Many ooohs and ahhhs.  8)

Charles

btw ...did some amateur sleuthing.... this info will remain
with the reel.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/mcall/name/helen-reed-obituary?id=8580535&utm_source=webshareapi&utm_medium=share_button&utm_campaign=wsapimobile_beta

Wompus Cat

Velly Intelesting !

That would easily put the kids in their 70's now and getting rid of stuff.
Make it 3 1/2 Marhofs  in trade  ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Sonnett

fished for many years with a GE Marhoff. Quieter than most Pfluegers but heavier spooled. The old members of the Shakespeare tournament casting team told me they removed the levelwind when casting for distance. They are incredibly common as there was a lot of built-up demand after WWll was over. There is also a saltwater GE model that is slightly heavier and anodized black rather than green. A mint green one is hard to pass up as they are a beautiful reel. I have about 10 in the box and can't sell one at a show for $30. If you are going to fish with one or have one to display it is best to get one made in the 40s as the knobs on the handle will be a marbled translucent color and these have held up well. The reels starting in the early 50s have solid white colored knobs and the plastic has broken down over time and corrupts the nickel plating on the handle and eventually simply crumbles away. Lots of replacement parts around. A repair tip: occasionally the felt pad on the drag system will come detached from the spring brass arm that holds it against the spool flange as part of the anti-backlash system. I wrestled for years trying to reattach the pad before hitting on success. I clean the oil out of the pad and off the brass-colored arm and use a tiny bit of "Shoe-Goo" to cement it on. Have not had one come off since.

Paul Roberts

Thanks for sharing the Shoe Goo idea, Bill.

I've ended up with 2 good fishable Marhoff's, a GE and HB ('39). Not the easiest casters I own but will get the job done. The GE is in nearly new condition.

Sonnett

I'm sure most know this but Walter Marhoff's claim to fame is his invention of the single double threaded shaft level wind. Wm Shaklespeare Jr was never one to pass up a better idea (example: Oct 1905 purchase of the Rhodes patents) and purchased Walter's patent and rights to his reel. That level wind has remained the same for over 100 years. Should you run across one that says "Marhoff Reel Company" as the one shown here, it was made before Mr Shakspeare bought the Marhoff Reel Company in May of 1908.Marhoff reel co 2014 002.jpg  Marhoff reel co 2014 004.jpg