Under wraps

Started by Bill B, March 07, 2022, 07:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Also I like that marbling...
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Jeri

Very unusual for metallic threads to change colour when being coated with rod finish resin. In fact, have never had that happen, if anything metallics tend to boost their core colour under resin.

Strange.

thorhammer

Bill, just saw this. Very clean job on the wrapping. 100% agree on underwraps. let me know if you need anything. If you have a number on that red you're using, lemme know and if i have it i will send on. For bottom fishing with braid and bait the 3" may not hurt you too badly- I've a lot of rods i got for pennies with such injury and repurposed into something where I needed stiffer action or for trolling. My first motor was a rotisserie, and i built a lot of rods on it. What worked for years, and i still use it on a different motor, was to drill four holes in the PVC at compass 90 degree points, and turn in thumb screws. they will self tap. i then wrap a few turns of electrical tape around butt cap for protection and set the rod. The thumb screws allow you to perfectly center the blank to offset for least amount of oscillation, which is nice on a limber rod where the weight of guides may actually cause flex. Nice work.

Bill B

I finished the Californian CA-670 C.  With two busted guides and corrosion on the rest it was time for a rebuild.  Stripping the old guides and expoxy was tedious and took about 5 hours.  With the blank stripped on went the under wraps trying to stay faithful to the older Penn Californians I love so much.  U/Ws took 6 hours and the guides another 5 hours.  All wraps were done by hand on some pillars I made.  Then cobbled together a rod dryer motor. The U/Ws received a coat of 2 part expoxy (ProKote by Mudhole). And dried overnite.  There were a few thread buds and air bubbles to carve out but most were covered by the guide wraps. I have never used 2 part before and there was a learning curve.  I found by slathering the wraps with epoxy and spreading it out worked best for me. Then the guides were installed and the first coat of 2 part was applied and overnite cure. The next morning the second coat was applied and cured overnite.  I did apply 2 coats of 2 part to the entire rod which makes this rod look brand new.  Of course there are a few issues with the epoxy, fish eyes, footballs and loosing 3" but I'm happy and the fish don't care 😉. I have to say all the support from everyone on this site makes it fun to tackle new things (2 part expoxy)  I don't know if I'm cut out to do a lot of rod building, very tedious, kinda like sorting fly poop out of pepper.  It is nice to know that I can do it.  Bill

P.S. When I tried to upload the photo showing the "Californian" label there was a TM (trademark) symbol and apparently the software will not allow a TM to be uploaded.  I put black tape over it and had no issues uploading.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

CooldadE

Nice work ! I've wrapped a few in my day and know what goes into building / wrapping rods. What guides are on that 670 ? They look very interesting...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Bill B

Thanks for the kind words.  The guides are Mudholes CRB braced wire framed boat guides.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

Nice job Bill, get some satisfaction using gear you had a hand in making
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

You did a really good job , thread work is nice and tight .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

So at what point does a conventional rod 'need' under wraps?

Full disclosure I've come to realize i hate doing under wraps, but I recognize that they're appropriate past a certain point, once one expects a rod to experience a certain amount of winding load.

So the question is what is that point where they become appropriate? Would a graphite rod (mod action 12-25# line rating) using fuji MN guides that'll never see more than 15# of drag warrant such an effort? I know it's my rod i can build it however I want. But that doesn't mean I don't wanna hear more experienced opinions.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 05, 2022, 01:55:34 PMWould a graphite rod (mod action 12-25# line rating) using fuji MN guides that'll never see more than 15# of drag

I will like to see a 12-25lb graphite rod that handle 25# drag
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on May 13, 2022, 01:19:27 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 05, 2022, 01:55:34 PMWould a graphite rod (mod action 12-25# line rating) using fuji MN guides that'll never see more than 15# of drag

I will like to see a 12-25lb graphite rod that handle 25# drag
Easy. Just point it at the fish!

At what point do you start recommending under wraps?