Wiper Blades

Started by jgp12000, March 08, 2022, 11:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Lunker Larry on March 12, 2022, 02:26:52 PMDoes that wet silicone dissolve plastic? Had some that did.
I'd be careful with it.

Never had a problem with it except the guy  sliding off the Car seat mentioned earlier .
You would not want to use  it on  Electrical stuff probably ,or anything you are about to paint (don't even spray it in the same room ,it will water proof most anything as well .
Different company's use different formulations in their sprays and thats why I have used the 3M Wet Type forever .
NO PROBLEMO'S.
Best stuff in the word for Garage Door Tracks .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gobi King

Costco has a yearly sale of goodyear wiper at $5 to $7 a piece, I load up on them, fred is on the $$$ they last 2 year tops
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 12, 2022, 02:32:22 PM
Quote from: Lunker Larry on March 12, 2022, 02:26:52 PMDoes that wet silicone dissolve plastic? Had some that did.
I'd be careful with it.

Never had a problem with it except the guy  sliding off the Car seat mentioned earlier .
You would not want to use  it on  Electrical stuff probably ,or anything you are about to paint (don't even spray it in the same room ,it will water proof most anything as well .
Different company's use different formulations in their sprays and thats why I have used the 3M Wet Type forever .
NO PROBLEMO'S.

If you are referring to spray silicone like Jigaloo, I call that a dry silicone, Goes on wet but dries quick. There is another kind that stays wet.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Lunker Larry on March 12, 2022, 09:43:21 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 12, 2022, 02:32:22 PM
I'd be careful with it.

NO PROBLEMO'S.

If you are referring to spray silicone like Jigaloo, I call that a dry silicone, Goes on wet but dries quick. There is another kind that stays wet.

YEPPER ,the one I posted at in this thread on pg. 1
3M part # 08877

dlrider

Quote from: Gobi King on March 12, 2022, 02:38:21 PMCostco has a yearly sale of goodyear wiper at $5 to $7 a piece, I load up on them, fred is on the $$$ they last 2 year tops

I'm pretty sure mine have been wiping for 5 years or so, parked outside year-round.  In Virginia we have annual vehicle safety inspections of which wipers are required.  I would take it in to the dealer for inspection and free oil change, and got zapped for $$$$ for wiper blades/arms -- easier to pay for them there than to have to come back.  Their crap lasts about a year, and even cleaning won't make them better.  Switched to these Goodyear's and haven't looked back, and haven't failed inspection due to wipers since.  Looking like I'll be changing them this year, so thanks for the tip for Costco.

jurelometer

Silicone lubricants can cause problems on silicone rubber surfaces.  I know that you are not supposed to lubricate silicone o-rings with silicone grease, as it can lead to swelling and softening. I think it is safe on most if not all other types of plastics/rubbers, but as with any liquid lubricant or especially aerosols, you have to also consider potential damage  from any solvent additives used to aid in dispersal.

You can  do a web search on silicone lubricants on silicone products, but be prepared to wade through all the adult toy references. I gave up, but not before finding out that they also recommend not using silicone lubicrant on silicone toys  :)

It looks like some high end wiper blades are made from silicone.

-J

jgp12000

I also researched what to put on Bakelite. A video Fred sent me stated clean the Bakelite then polish with Brasso, then Liquid Gold. The LG ingredients are mineral oil, naphtha,& the aerosol. I tried straight mineral oil on some PENN Peerless 9 side plates and they look great now.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: jurelometer on March 13, 2022, 05:58:15 PMSilicone lubricants can cause problems on silicone rubber surfaces.  I know that you are not supposed to lubricate silicone o-rings with silicone grease, as it can lead to swelling and softening. I think it is safe on most if not all other types of plastics/rubbers, but as with any liquid lubricant or especially aerosols, you have to also consider potential damage  from any solvent additives used to aid in dispersal.

You can  do a web search on silicone lubricants on silicone products, but be prepared to wade through all the adult toy references. I gave up, but not before finding out that they also recommend not using silicone lubicrant on silicone toys  :)

-J

BRAND is KEY HERE .
FROM 0ver 50 years of using the product I described earlier I have had ZERO problems with any applications .
You let me know in 50 Years if you experience any for my Records if you would .I would be Obliged  :d

jurelometer

Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 13, 2022, 06:27:37 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on March 13, 2022, 05:58:15 PMSilicone lubricants can cause problems on silicone rubber surfaces.  I know that you are not supposed to lubricate silicone o-rings with silicone grease, as it can lead to swelling and softening. I think it is safe on most if not all other types of plastics/rubbers, but as with any liquid lubricant or especially aerosols, you have to also consider potential damage  from any solvent additives used to aid in dispersal.

You can  do a web search on silicone lubricants on silicone products, but be prepared to wade through all the adult toy references. I gave up, but not before finding out that they also recommend not using silicone lubicrant on silicone toys  :)

-J

BRAND is KEY HERE .
FROM 0ver 50 years of using the product I described earlier I have had ZERO problems with any applications .
You let me know in 50 Years if you experience any for my Records if you would .I would be Obliged  :d

Experience is a great if sometimes unforgiving teacher.  So thanks for being our test pilot :)

I don't expect to live long enough to try everything for 50 years before reaching a conclusion.  Instead, I rely on materials databases and manufacturer recommendations. They actually do chemistry and testing and stuff like that.  Here is a recommendation from an o-ring manufacturer to NOT use silicone oils on silicone o-rings. 

https://www.marcorubber.com/silicone-o-rings.htm

Silicone (parts, not lubricant)  is not that great for repetitive motion and abrasion.  Mostly it is used for seals in situations with a wide temperature range or high UV exposure.  Not ideal for most automotive purposes.  You might not have been using it much on silicone over the last 50 years.  I personally wouldn't spray the stuff on anything silicone without at least sending 3M a query.  They are pretty good about replying.

Do agree that the silicone spray is great on things like car door seals.  When I found out about spraying the seals to keep the car doors from freezing shut, I was a very happy camper.  Works like magic.

-J

Wompus Cat

I have found also in more than 50 years in the business is that a lot of times people who sell products don't recommend stuff to preserve it but tell you that the stuff you have used for fifty years  won't work ......just sayin
As in all things one is advised to use Common Sense as Good Judgement has been known to be flawed.
This is the conclusion of the Wompus Cat  Wet Type Silicone 3M brand Broadcast .

foakes

Thanks, Henry —-

After over 50 years in the car business —- we have used the 3M Silicone spray lubricant on the door window channels to address and prevent binding and squeaking.

Just clean out the channel with an ice cream stick, cotton, and rubbing alcohol.  It will be dry and and clean in a minute.  Then spray a little film of the 3M Silicone into the window tracks.  Cycle the window up and down a few times.  Even is lousy weather —- it lasts around 10 years.

It is the BEST brand of Silicone lubricant.

It is recommended by manufacturers as a quick and easy fix.

Some dealers and auto shops will charge you for a new window regulator, motor assembly, tracks, and seals.  One window could be $300 - $400. 

Shops don't make much money by spraying Silicone into window tracks —- instead, they like to replace everything with new.

It adds up pretty quick at $100+ an hour.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

I got some 3M coming today nonetheless I was curious does the wet version better than the dry,I assume yes since that's what Henry recommends.I am leery of what I use on vintage reels,my modest collection...I read some Bakelite had saw dust in it,imagine that?I guess back in the day they used what they had or was it let's try this or hold my beer bubba watch this ya'll!

Gfish

So, some high-end wiper blades are made of silicone. How about the moderate-end ones like that Costco set I'll use soon; neoprene? And what're the door gaskets made outta? Got window scraping sound on one power window now; what'er them track-guide things made outta? Can I use rubbing alcohol on all those areas to clean before lubing? Or, Will some get damaged?
Toys! No wonder...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jurelometer

Quote from: Gfish on March 13, 2022, 10:29:28 PMSo, some high-end wiper blades are made of silicone. How about the moderate-end ones like that Costco set I'll use soon; neoprene? And what're the door gaskets made outta? Got window scraping sound on one power window now; what'er them track-guide things made outta? Can I use rubbing alcohol on all those areas to clean before lubing? Or, Will some get damaged?
Toys! No wonder...

My guess is that factory rubber automotive door seals (and probably most wipers) are made from EPDM. But that is just a guess. And it may change on more modern cars.  If it is not black, it is not EPDM.

Alcohol is a good choice when you want to use a solvent that is not too aggressive.  If the wipe cloth keeps coming out black after repeated attempts, the rubber is chalking, and is degraded. And of course cracks are worse.  Fred or Henry can give you better guidance on what is salvageable.

Silicone lubricant should mostly (only?) be a risk with silicone. The auto parts store sold me silicone spray for fixing my doors seals when they froze the door shut in the winter.

Here is the link to the 3M page with product data sheet links.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b49000245/

Looks like they recommend the dry stuff for window channels, and the wet stuff for door seals.  Even though I was giving Henry a hard time, I would definitely consider whatever he recommends for older vehicles.

-J

Wompus Cat

Quote from: jurelometer on March 14, 2022, 01:36:27 AM
Quote from: Gfish on March 13, 2022, 10:29:28 PMSo, some high-end wiper blades are made of silicone. How about the moderate-end ones like that Costco set I'll use soon; neoprene? And what're the door gaskets made outta? Got window scraping sound on one power window now; what'er them track-guide things made outta? Can I use rubbing alcohol on all those areas to clean before lubing? Or, Will some get damaged?
Toys! No wonder...

My guess is that factory rubber automotive door seals (and probably most wipers) are made from EPDM. But that is just a guess. And it may change on more modern cars.  If it is not black, it is not EPDM.

Alcohol is a good choice when you want to use a solvent that is not too aggressive.  If the wipe cloth keeps coming out black after repeated attempts, the rubber is chalking, and is degraded. And of course cracks are worse.  Fred or Henry can give you better guidance on what is salvageable.

Silicone lubricant should mostly (only?) be a risk with silicone. The auto parts store sold me silicone spray for fixing my doors seals when they froze the door shut in the winter.

Here is the link to the 3M page with product data sheet links.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b49000245/

Looks like they recommend the dry stuff for window channels, and the wet stuff for door seals.  Even though I was giving Henry a hard time, I would definitely consider whatever he recommends for older vehicles.

-J

I use the wet type Like that old lady on the Hotsauce advertising (I put that Chit on Everything )
I recommend using a mild soap as I mentioned earlier to clean and prepare surfaces you can get to , It will take a few times if never treated and all the UV degradation black chalky crap will come off .Then put the Magic Elixir on it .
Fact Jack ,Works Wonders .
 And Jurelmeter  ;D  I prob got socks older than you and it would be a hard days work to give me a Hard Time.....just like water off a Duck's Back  here on this site  :d