Age of Squidder

Started by Maxed Out, March 12, 2022, 06:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I have a maroon 140, a few maroon 146's and a NIB black 146 I'm sure I bought brand new in the early ninety's.

Ted, First thing I checked was whether you filed this in the right section so we could easily find this info again. Of course you did. You are a true master at all you do.

I'll check mine later just to see. I wonder which model I took down to build my Cortez Classic Squidder?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Gfish

Ok Ted. Thanks for askin/lookin.

The reel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Some comparison non-Deluxe reels;
1) Long Beach 60
2) LB 66
3) 113H
Interesting, the Deluxe is slightly wider than the 113H.
What do you think about the possible spool capacity of the Deluxe compared to the others?

Even though the arbor on the 113H is thicker, the spool flange height is prolly bout 1/8"higher, than that of the Deluxe, from arbor to the top of the flange. So, more capacity on the Senator? Still, there is that slightly wider width on the Deluxe spool... And the flanges on the Deluxe, have less angle to the taper. Could be an optical illusion but the LB Deluxe looks like it could hold more, or a equal amount of line...?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

The stand; no yardage stamp...?
It just occurred to me that the Deluxe has a 3 screw stand + 6 posts. The 113H has the 3 screw stand, but only 5 posts, hmmm...maybe the Senator still has a strength advantage because of the placement of that lone post—top-center.

Gfish

Oh!, oh!, oh! Lookin at my older reels, I just saw somethin else; the relatively narrow 2/0 Senator, has 3 stand screws, 6-posts on the bottom half—- pretty solid lookin for a Penn post framed reel. I put a top-center post(#7)on mine, primarily to reduce the plate to ring gap caused by Bakelite swelling——ooouuu, that's solid lil' Senator now!

Maxed Out

Nice reel G

I looked it up in Penn history book and confirmed my thoughts.  Your reel is a 300yd 65DL. It was made from 1937-1941. It was then rebranded as the 3/0 senator. The DL models (DL60,DL65, & DL66) are highly sought after in any condition as long as it's all original. Yours is easily $200+ all day every day :al
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

I got rid of my Penn conventionals last year when cleaning out the front half of the storage container.

Just kept my 10 Reel set of Senators —- plus an example of other reels —- maybe only 75 total.

But Squidders have always been a favorite for me.  So I generally have a few on hand for folks.  140, 145, 146.

IMO, the Squidder is one of the most under-appreciated and least understood of the Penn Conventionals.

A truly great reel that has now sadly been discontinued.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Fred, I agree. The squidder is a good reel intended for long casting. The drawback was always the price. Since 1939 introduction it was more of a rich man's reel. The Surfmaster has always been a poor man's squidder, and the Surfmaster far outsold the squidder into the 1960's. As other models nudged up in price, the squidder was $25 in 1939, and still $25 in late 50's. The surfmaster was $12 in 1940 and $16 in late 50's.  Squidders slowly become much more popular and more affordable for the average working class folks. At the same time Surfmasters began to fade off into oblivion.

Now Fred, I have an inquiry about your squidders. What's with the one with an extra bar on top ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Ted, that is an old aftermarket anti-backlash system that uses spool brakes inside the tail plate.

This was designed by a fellow out of Long Island, John Parsenan.

It works very well.

Because it requires drilling through the tail plate —- and the position and orientation must be just right —- not many shops carried these.

Most of these reels with the anti-backlash device were sent into John so he could install the device properly using jigs & the experience of the creator.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21590.msg236151#msg236151

Here is a write up on this device done here around 5 years ago.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Man talking bout going around the Block to get across the Steet!
Don't see those around much on E-bay .
Does it work similar to the Ocean City version of that .?
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 17, 2022, 10:28:40 PMMan talking bout going around the Block to get across the Steet!

I wouldn't know anything about the OC version, Henry —-

But I did some tests with this about 5 years ago —- and it flat out works —- is quickly adjustable —- a the installation is professional.

Impossible to get a backlash — but when distance casting, there is absolutely no resistance.  Great for Stripers in the surf.

Best, Fred

If you didn't know —- you would think it is factory OEM

--------

Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: foakes on March 17, 2022, 10:58:48 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 17, 2022, 10:28:40 PMMan talking bout going around the Block to get across the Steet!

I wouldn't know anything about the OC version, Henry —-

But I did some tests with this about 5 years ago —- and it flat out works —- is quickly adjustable —- a the installation is professional.

Impossible to get a backlash — but when distance casting, there is absolutely no resistance.  Great for Stripers in the surf.

Best, Fred

If you didn't know —- you would think it is factory OEM

Ocean City made the Farcast in several Sizes  .You threaded the line through the wire out front and when casting the weight of the lure/sinker/bait would push down on the lever and she would  free spool to beat the band and when it hit the water the line slacked up an BAM  the spool would stop.The Ocean City still had a clicker too.
Most peeps removed it though and most of the Reels you get has open slots where the lever use to go.

Thanks for showing this one in its essence !

foakes

Yes, that is how this one works also, Henry —-

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Wompus Cat

What springs the lever back ?
Bet you can't find brake shoes at Many Moe and Mac's place either ........ ;D

foakes

Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 18, 2022, 12:57:37 AMWhat springs the lever back ?
Bet you can't find brake shoes at Many Moe and Mac's place either ........ ;D

There is a bail-like clock spring that is thumb-adjustable to bring the arm back.

These mechanisms are about as rare as reel things get.

Not going to find them at Ace, Home Depot, or Pep-Boys.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.