Possibly the Best Large Spinner

Started by foakes, March 25, 2022, 11:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Asbestos was made to be dry ,try to clean it with brake clean and try it again .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Hi Mike —

The best way to almost double your drag on these, is to cut (2) CF washers —- one for under the spool, and one on top.

These should be LIGHTLY greased with Cal's —- with the grease worked into the weave and texture of the CF's.

Then just install the matching metal drag disc, the felt ring —- and finally the drag knob.

You can experiment with multiple drags —- because there is room.  And in addition —- the spool line-lay can be adjusted for various heights very simply.  It is bullet-proof,quick, and simple.  A very unique and clever feature.  This helps when working with various drag combos.

Let me know if I can help with any parts —- I do have all of the original drags —- which should NOT be greased.

It is fun to experiment with different drag combos.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

I should have added to my post is you can try cork gasket material , even if it has some rubber composition to it .   Try it dry do a drive way test .

I have spools with cork on the bottom of the spool  and carbon in the middle drag stack that i am happy with pulling small sharks .     King fish should be showing up soon , that will be the real test.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare