Graphite vs glass for a heavy bottom rod

Started by JasonGotaProblem, March 28, 2022, 03:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Agree with everything said above, especially Dave's point about drywall tape arbor. A bit messy to do but you essentially have fiberglassed the seat to the blank. I'm zero fan of masking tape.  My add: Std. seat you have is fine in this class. Aluminum will add cost with not a lot of benefit in that drag range. These really aren't "casting reels", tho you might tune it so you can pitch with it. It's troll or drop, and you're building a jig blank, so this is probably a good balance. You might consider acid wrap, because that reel is a bit wider than a jigging reel and will help the roll. I saw you said something about acid wrap on the bottom rod you just did, you can do this easily.

steelfish

I think Jason is gettin deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole.

if he have fun fishing from a boat soon he will realize he needs a smaller reel for that blank to be able to cast further when there are fish on sight but are boat shy (most of them), once he buy a new smaller reel his everol reel will need another rod for trolling or livebait fishing, then a big and unstoppable grouper will take his bait and give him a adrenaline rush for the fight he will end up losing the fish, next day he will be looking for bigger and stronger reel and rod.
dont ask me how I know this. ::)  ::)
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

I actually went ahead and closed the browser windows with saved searches where I find my impulse buys. Ive come to the conclusion that I have enough. I can cover just about all types of fishing that I'd be likely to do, so I need to stop.

I may eventually find myself with a more jigging friendly reel, but I'm gonna wait a bit. At least that's the plan.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

Whatever, dude.  You're gonna find a jiggy on a pole in someone's trash on your street, or at yard sale across the way for five bucks, and being you (like the rest of us), will not allow it to stay there. Then you will be building a narrow jiggy. Your Everol will become a live bait reel (needing rod, as Alex says) to trolley rig for kings off pier with. You have surf spinner as I recall, so you'll then need a 12' for an anchor rod. Then you need a plugging rod for Spanish and bait, and you're gonna want all three rods to match wraps on your pier carts so as not to look googan. I'm saying this as your friend so you can go ahead and build the rods with the theme in your head to match, and not be rewrapping errythang later.  You already built the cobia rod, maybe that's it, so your Penn can go from cobia rod to anchor rod and back, and the jiggy and everol will all three match when you take them on the boat.

Alex, that about get it for the rodwrapping piece? That's what happened to me anyways.

handi2

I see you mentioned you have never fished from a boat.

With all respect I think you need to take a break from the internet and go fishing. You will learn more doing this than :fish  :fish  :cf  :cf

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: handi2 on March 30, 2022, 06:08:20 PMI see you mentioned you have never fished from a boat.

With all respect I think you need to take a break from the internet and go fishing. You will learn more doing this than :fish  :fish  :cf  :cf

Keith

You think I would be online this much if i had a boat? Or access to a boat?
And to clarify, I've fished from boats quite a bit when i was younger, but it was inshore and we were generally sight casting, nothing really vertical.

RowdyW

You need to put in a little time on a few half day drift boats. That's all they do is bottom fish on the reefs. Search the web for drift boats near you to start. Later you can graduate to day charters then multi day trips.       Rudy

Jeri

I would only add to the point about the rabbit hole, as when Jason started on this endeavour, we did all warn him of the rabbit hole effect, and that it has absolutely no escape ladder........ :al

There is no theoretical position where any man has enough rods and reels, as a similar position as no woman can have too many shoes.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thorhammer on March 30, 2022, 05:42:04 PMWhatever, dude.  You're gonna find...

Alex, that about get it for the rodwrapping piece? That's what happened to me anyways.
somehow I missed this. And you're most certainly right, but I decided its time to actively stop searching online for deals. I have enough. If something pops up that I can't pass up, well i won't pass it up. But the wife hasn't seen the everol or the bill yet....
And with regard to matching sets, I'd be lying if i said i wasn't considering rewrapping some of my earlier pieces, bring them up to my current skill level. Though i may do better to wait a few months and bring them up to my future skill level  8)
Quote from: Jeri on March 31, 2022, 08:03:04 AMI would only add to the point about the rabbit hole, as when Jason started on this endeavour, we did all warn him of the rabbit hole effect, and that it has absolutely no escape ladder........ :al

There is no theoretical position where any man has enough rods and reels, as a similar position as no woman can have too many shoes.
Oh I was warned about this rabbit hole. As far as places to get stuck, at least its fun. Rod n reel work scratches the same itch for me as modding cars, but at a much lower cost, and with far lower odds of dying in a fireball at 160mph if something goes wrong. And I wish my wife was that type. This would be much easier if I could point to her closet every time she pointed to my rod rack.

And Rudy is that the normal progression? I guess I gotta start somewhere. I've got a vehicle that can tow stuff now. A boat is in my future, but I'm not sure how far. It won't be a deep sea vessel though so I still need to look at charters.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 31, 2022, 01:33:40 PM... This would be much easier if I could point to her closet every time she pointed to my rod rack.

well, amigo, that will never happen.

my fishing gear addiction stopped been a problem when few years ago I bought to my wife a nice laptop and some other things for her with the spare money from the custom rods/repairs.

she actually had a carpenter made me a nice cabinet for my fishing reels with a hidden sliding door for my rods and plenty of room for my few rod components and reel repair tools , that was 4 years ago, now the rod rack on the cabinet is full and my tools/parts for fit on the rest of the drawers, my RC cars had to go to a storage box to make more room for reel, etc,
The Baja Guy

RowdyW

And Rudy is that the normal progression? I guess I gotta start somewhere. I've got a vehicle that can tow stuff now. A boat is in my future, but I'm not sure how far. It won't be a deep sea vessel though so I still need to look at charters.
[/quote] Jason you don't have to follow any order. Just make some choices.  If you are interested in a 1/2 or full day charter go down to the piers and check with the captains if they need any fill ins for a full charter, cabin cruiser, 1/2 or full day.  They usually take 6 people so you pay 1/6 of the charter. They usually troll but if everybody wants to bottom fish they will do that if they have decent locations of good reef's to fish. Ask around at the docks about the boats & captains reputations. Do they have a no fish, no pay deal? Usually they want you to use their gear but if you talk to the captain and let him know that you want to try  a rod you built & a reel you rebuilt they will usually go along with you. Half day charters "start" at about $600/ 1/2 day to $1200/ full day.

handi2

Fiberglass (plastic) rods are very dangerous. When they break they explode sending pieces of glass everywhere.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL