Mystery Reel from Donnyboat in Western Australia May 18, 2022

Started by El Pescador, May 18, 2022, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

I received this email and photos from Donnyboat in Western Australia today, asking to post photos and a short email from Don about his mystery Reel:  Take it away Don!!!!

Hi Wayne,
hope you are all keeping well, could you place these two picture on the forum for me,
my mate found this reel on the rubbish tip,
not working @ that stage, but goes like new now,
but it has no decals or part numbers on it,
someone on the forum may be able to give it a name,
it has 8 ball bearing on it and also the shape of the star,
may help identify it,
thanks Don.

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Hardy Boy

Looks like an Okuma. I have seen several that look similar with the left side plate "beauty ring" and the star. They made several versions of the CV and one other model is similar that I can't think of off of the top of my head. Capable little reels. Lets see the inside stack and I would know more for sure.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

philaroman

Brewcrafter

The handle knob, handle arm, retaining nut, and drag star are identical to my lead core trolling Cabela's reel from the early 2000's.  Since Cabela's is a retailer, not a manufacturer, it's safe to assume it was made for them and in the past, I have found Okuma parts to work for servicing the internals so that would be my guess. - john

Gfish

"Made in China" anywhere on it Don? And what was wrong with it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Thanks Wayne, you do look after me man, & thanks for all the comments, know Greg, nothing in the way of were it was made, or any part numbers, the line level was not working, I managed to smooth off the worm & clean it all out, the star was very rough with corrosion, I smoothed it of with the bright boy wheel, looks good now, It also had what I think is a duro drag washers, the bottom one was very thin, from wear, so I replace it with a 1 mm CF washer, but had to take a metal wash out under the star, as the drag was to high, with the 1 mm CF washer in it, so I replaced the metal wash with a very thin delron washer, that helps to turn the star down when required. its about the same size as a Penn 310 reel, but a bit wider, defiantly not a Penn reel, I also replace one roller bearing, & took the shields of the other one, gave it a good wash with brake cleaner, then relubed it, nice & smooth now, & the line level works great now, it also had a piece of rod going from one plate to another, that rod was very rusty, so I replace it with a SS bolt 316, that I had without a nut, so was good for that job, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

Tanks don boy,   I'm like ing the paddle design of the star.  This to me is a good change from the earlier every body pushed out to the public narrow knife edged crap that you should have been just fine with???    Okuma has listened to the customer, but still has to stay in line to survive.    Sometimes we think there's no perfect reel.   
  There's brunettes and blond 👱�♂️ but now even green redheads.     :al

Donnyboat

Thanks Gary, whats your preference, So can anyone suggest a number for this Okuma reel, that I could add to the decals, Its a bit heigher than a Penn 310, just checked, its about the same size as a Senator 3/0, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat