Knob, install dry or lube?

Started by Toehi, May 27, 2022, 07:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toehi

Accurate power knob, older version sold as an unassembled kit. Been sitting on these for a few years, finally got up the nerve to grab the mini router with a 1/16 bit, set up a jig, and route a key way into the Pro Challenger handles. Actually came out ok.

Accurate calls for red loctite, did that on the handle side but will probably use blue on the knob side. If they ever need to be disassembled the heat to melt the red is going to destroy the knob (it's a color no longer in production). The screw fitment is loose enough where it will need some type of adhesive so the screw doesn't back out.

Should I assemble these dry, then use a spray lube after the loctite cures, reapply as needed?  Or should I slather grease on the knob shaft before assembly?  If grease is the way to go I'm thinking Cals, though I do have a bunch of others (Penn, Corrosion X, etc).  What I'm shooting for is to not have to take this apart on the regular to service lube it.  What's the best plan of attack?5B25F68A-CBCE-4254-A458-76365355CB66.jpeg

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Squidder Bidder

You might want to consider purple loctite on the knob side. It's the weakest and you should be able to break it without heat.

JasonGotaProblem

Teflon tape will hold the screw in better than nothing but will release with a screwdriver as soon as you ask it to.

Edit: that was unclear. I use glue on the blade side, whatever I have handy. I use Teflon tape on the knob side because there's a solid chance I'll be removing it one day, and teflon tape seems to hold a screw in place just fine til I wanna unscrew it then it comes out easily.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Does the knob have ball bearings in it? If so, I usually have to service the one on the bottom(next to the handle) because of rust or corrosion, so I use blue locktite on the top screw only and alota torque on the handle screw.  If not, then grease with the locktite or Teflon tape.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Hardy Boy

I'm wit handi ............... greased. I don't lock tite the handle screw only the blade screw.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Toehi

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on May 27, 2022, 10:53:02 AMYou might want to consider purple loctite on the knob side. It's the weakest and you should be able to break it without heat.

I'll give it a try, if it doesn't hold I'll bump it up to blue.

Toehi

Quote from: Gfish on May 27, 2022, 01:35:14 PMDoes the knob have ball bearings in it? If so, I usually have to service the one on the bottom(next to the handle) because of rust or corrosion, so I use blue locktite on the top screw only and alota torque on the handle screw.  If not, then grease with the locktite or Teflon tape.

No BB's on these.

Toehi