How To Remove Spool Bearings Embedded in Endcaps ( 980 )

Started by hotajax, June 03, 2022, 10:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Wow, good one. Thanks Jenx. I've heard of it, didn't think too much about it, now I've seen it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

hotajax

Jenx:  Thanks for posting.  Looks like a great idea.  I believe I will take off the endcaps, and place them in Aerokroil for a few days.  Then give the bread trick a shot. 

handi2

If you get some TSI 321 it will clean all the old grease out. They may spin fine after

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

hotajax

I have some ReelX I use for general lubrication, but I don't think the TSI 231 will break the bank.  Seems like the bearing are OK when I turn them with a Q-tip. 

hotajax

Quote from: Swami805 on June 04, 2022, 07:45:32 PMTake a small cheap screwdriver, heat it up to make a tiny crow bar type end, semi u shape. If you have a screwdriver from Penn or another reel try that. Just need enough to get under the bearing    You might need to file the end a little
Also the head of a box nail and a pair of vice grips will work
[/quote
I understand this concept of making a small crow bar, or something to get under the bearing.  But:  The million dollar question for me is this.  If the bearing is in an endcap, like on a Penn 4/0 or 980, how do you hold everything together while you try to bang out the bearing?

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare