Best reel suited for my purpose

Started by Makule, February 08, 2012, 04:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

QuoteWhy not set the drag for 20-25# initially?  Wouldn't it be better to slow down that initial run?

I must be misunderstanding your question.  I do try to slow the initial run as best as I can.  The drag is set fairly tight and if the fish takes line, I'll keep tightening until it stops.  If I can't tighten any more, I'll grab the spool to apply more braking.

The reason I leave the rods in the holder after the strike and during the run, is that there's no way of telling how big the fish is.  Since the drag is set quite tight to begin with, if the fish starts to run on the strike it's gotta be good size.  That being the case, it's safer to leave the rod in the holder and to try to slow/stop it that way than to take out the rod and then find you can't stop it and you're at the end of your 80 or 100 lb test line.  With that size line, I have had the exciting experience of a fish literally dragging me as I slid across the rocks.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

wallacewt

have you tried floating your live baits out under a balloon with an offshore breeze.throwing 11oz of lead will put hairs on your chest like 1/2" conduit

Makule

Quote from: wallacewt on February 11, 2012, 11:47:22 AM
have you tried floating your live baits out under a balloon with an offshore breeze.throwing 11oz of lead will put hairs on your chest like 1/2" conduit

We do use the wind to float out a line.  We use a trash bag like a balloon to pull the line out and attach a floater to hold up the leader.

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

what's the water depth out by the trash bags?  does it drop off quick?  where are the reefs?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

Quote from: alantani on February 11, 2012, 11:17:26 PM
what's the water depth out by the trash bags?  does it drop off quick?  where are the reefs?

At shore, the depth is about 50'.  It then drops off gradually (no really steep drop off) so that at about 100 yards out, it's probably 100' deep.  Where we often place the trash bag may be between 200 to 300 feet (don't know since we can't measure it).  We can send the line out to the end of the spool and I have gone as far as 800 yards.  Not better and much more tiring to crank all that line back in to check bait.  No significant reef to be concerned about except to the sides (along the cliff).

This area does not have the fastest drop off, but it has the off-shore winds.  There are a few other places that get deeper faster, but the wind is either parallel to shore of on-shore.

alantani

i'd be curious to see how a kite would work. 

wallacewt

kite,party balloon,helium balloon they would all work.

Makule

alantani

looks like tough fishing. we've got more reasons why things would not work than reasons why things would.  this is why you put a man on the ground and give him time to work something out. you line options are mono, spectra and wire.  your reel options are old school penns and newer lever drags.  you still have to work out the delivery system and they you actually have to get out and fish.  chances are you're gonna lose alot of gear and spend alot of money in the process.  it's unlikely that you will find the perfect system on the first try.  it may take a dozen combinations before you get it right, it will cost you money every step of the way and then you will probably still have bad days.   :-\

Makule

Quotechances are you're gonna lose alot of gear and spend alot of money in the process.  it's unlikely that you will find the perfect system on the first try.  it may take a dozen combinations before you get it right, it will cost you money every step of the way and then you will probably still have bad days.  

Have been doing that for many years, and dollars, now.  As Sal's signature states, "Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will", so I've kept trying.

I did come up with a couple of workable methods, but they take a long time to set up and are somewhat impractical.  Trying to work out some "bugs".  Unfortunately, or fortunately, as I get older, the need to address those issues declines in priority/importance, as does the need to catch fish.

Dweezy

I use a torium 50, greased carbontex drags with 80lb test on a 13 ft tallus.  The cast control knob is pretty cool to help prevent backlash.  With cast control tightened, its not too difficult to launch a 10oz lead 100+ yards.  The newells are definitely easier to cast farther but not as strong.  You will probably need to replace factory rod clamp for larger one, did not fit on my ulua pole.