Reel Mowers

Started by jgp12000, July 08, 2022, 10:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I was thinking about getting a Reel mower for a small hill I have to cut.Looking at American Lawnmower or Great States any insight will be appreciated

jzman

Reel mowers are for very niche lawns.  These mowers don't work well for tall grasses and with small twigs and branches on the grass.  To keep the spinning blades sharp there's an abrasive paste that you use to "backlap" it.  If the blades get really dull you have to hand file it.

JasonGotaProblem

A fuel injected self propelled honda would do well, no worries about the hill. I love mine that I found on CL for a bargain.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wompus Cat

I HATE REEL MOWERS .
When I was 10 I mowed a few yards with one and pulling it behind a Bicycle was MURDER until I figured out it FREE WHEELED when you turned it over .
Plus I would mow over a yard 2 or thee times (GOOD SIZE YARD TOO) 50 cents was the going rate and the Next Morning without fail the lady would call my Dad and say I had to comeback to Mow Down  the DAMN DANDELIONS.....They were not Dandy to me as I had to take Scissors to em to get em gone.
Then Dad got a 2 Horse Briggs Reel Mower and it PULLED ME all over the Yard...............lot more to the story but I tend to RAMBLE.........
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Swami805

Great mowers for putting greens or short warm season turf like bent grass when you're mowing a couple times a week. Not great for tall grass. You gotta keep them pretty sharp too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jgp12000

The pull cord on my 84' snapper Hi Vac stayed out last time I tried to start it, I supposed the spring has sprung.
I was thinking about installing a new B&S 3.5 on it, but the local shop told me they don't make anything under a 12.5 HP anymore. I may just rebuild it this winter I never have before. Northern tool has a Honda motor for $250,I am not sure if the shaft is compatible yet. I bought the mower right after we got married and it has sentimental value. I will get never get rid of it. I have been using it to cut near our dock to minimize my weed eating time. I have always wanted to try a reel mower maybe if I do it frequently it won't be too bad. I am glad I don't have to cut all the grass with it ... I ordered a AML on prime day (10k+ 4.5 stars), it's arriving today raining here, good day to put it together.

MarkT

Front throw reel mowers are only good for stuff like bermuda grass, bent grass, dichondra, etc that grow low. I used to have Dichondra and used a reel mower. They don't really work on 'real' grass.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Wompus Cat

QuoteThe pull cord on my 84' snapper Hi Vac stayed out last time I tried to start it, I supposed the spring has sprung.
I was thinking about installing a new B&S 3.5 on it, but the local shop told me they don't make anything under a 12.5 HP anymore. I may just rebuild it this winter I never have before. Northern tool has a Honda motor for $250,I am not sure if the shaft is compatible yet. I bought the mower right after we got married and it has sentimental value. I will get never get rid of it.

Spring is easy fix on those with a good file . 
Done GOBS of em in the Day.

happyhooker

They do provide the best looking cut, but beyond that, the advantages peter out.  I, too, grew up with one, and the memories are not great.  Some kind of Sears mower--I remember that.  I assume you are looking for a hand-operated one.  I doubt if they make a walk-behind power version anymore.

Frank

Swami805

They still make them but they cost a bundle. Our company has a few clients that have GN3 Bermuda grass that's mowed short and tight. Makes a nice surface and looks cool but upkeep is brutal. Mowed 3x a week
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jgp12000

Well I put it together and cut the front 2 patches of grass it looks great and was easy to push but my back felt it, made me want to kiss my ZTR. This fat boy was sweating, Henry!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: jgp12000 on July 13, 2022, 07:44:06 PMWell I put it together and cut the front 2 patches of grass it looks great and was easy to push but my back felt it, made me want to kiss my ZTR. This fat boy was sweating, Henry!

lol  ;D

Well now IF you wanna really get in  shape get on a Bicycle and drag it behind with one hand for a Mile or so but wait till about Mid August.