Casting triggers... You get what you pay for

Started by JasonGotaProblem, June 28, 2022, 10:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Alex, my finger starts hurting if I have more than about 4oz of lead attached to my chunk of fish. I was throwing 3oz for my test casts because that was what i had on hand.

Cornelis, I 100% got the idea for this rod from Jeri. He may not 100% approve every choice I made because I kinda did my own thing with some of it but I credit the concept to him.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jurelometer

There is something to be said for trying stuff out for yourself.  Following conventional wisdom is the fastest route to something acceptable, but a lot of conventional wisdom ends up being less optimal stuff that every just keeps repeating.

Build a traditional spinning rod.  Then move the guides around, then try different guides, then switch the reel seat location to reel-down, then try with and without a casting trigger on different payloads.  After Jason gets done with this, the rod may not be as pretty, but he will at a minimum have a better quantitative understanding of the functional effects of all these rod building decisions.

This is how rod building expertise is developed.  IMHO, the rod building community is focused a bit too much on the decorative aspects.  Nothing wrong with artistry, but if you are building a tool and not a display object, functionality should come first. 

-J

Wolfram M

Draw up what you want. I'll have a look at making either the molds for a plastic one or just some billet aluminum ones.

mbg60

I use the Cannon for casting up to 10oz lead.  I'm using hollow braid.