Penn 750 SS "Blue Dog"

Started by mhc, December 25, 2014, 06:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

A sequel to Mark's (MFB) "Red Baron" 7500 SS. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8615.0

The 'Blue Dog" - a 750 SS powder coated blue with Adam's (Three se7ens) titanium ratchet and dogs, octagonal carbon fibre drag washers, new handle and updated drag knob.

Merry Christmas Red Baron !

Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

MFB

Nice work Mike, I wonder what colour to do my 8500SS now. ;D

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Alto Mare

It looks good, but the black knob isn't helping. How is the tolerance with the rotor? and anything else for that matter.
Very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

the_reel_doc

Looks good. I've got a new set of emblems if you want them.

Newell Nut

Very nice work. Guess there is no limit where we can go with these vintage reels.

Bucktail

Curious to see how well that paint holds up compared to the original.
Just a jig-a-lo

mhc

Thanks blokes

Quote from: MFB on December 25, 2014, 10:14:19 AM
Nice work Mike, I wonder what colour to do my 8500SS now. ;D

Hi Mark, pearl white might work with the gold trim - you go first!  ;D

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 25, 2014, 12:43:29 PM
It looks good, but the black knob isn't helping. How is the tolerance with the rotor? and anything else for that matter.
Very nice.
No issues with the rotor clearing the housing or spool. The powder-coater masked the bearing cap threads, screw holes and bushings for the main shaft and eccentric levers but I had to sand the bearing housings, the tops of the dog posts, the post the oscillation gear sits on and clear the small holes the ends of the bail return spring sit in.
Yes I agree Sal, the black knob looks out of place, I'll keep my eye out for a blue one.

Quote from: the_reel_doc on December 25, 2014, 01:34:11 PM
Looks good. I've got a new set of emblems if you want them.

Thanks Reel Doc, a set of emblems would look great. They are pretty hard to find now, i'll send a PM and we can work out the details.

Quote from: Bucktail on December 25, 2014, 04:27:39 PM
Curious to see how well that paint holds up compared to the original.

Yeah me to - it is pretty tough when you want it to come off areas like inside the bearing housing  :)

Maybe Mark can tell us how the red baron is standing up to a bit of use?

MFB

Hi Mike,

Was thinking about pearl white, but have 2 x Stradic's so wanted something a bit different again. Maybe British racing green? Our summer has just started here, but so far the weather has not been boat friendly. Hoping to take a week off work in February when the weather settles down. If anybody has a decal for a 7500SS I would be keen.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

mhc

I got around to finishing this reel with a blue handle knob as Sal suggested 7 1/2 years ago and added the decals The Reel Doc sent as well.
Chris (Rothmar2) sent a piece of blue-white swirl acrylic a few months ago and it took me while to realise it's a similar shade of blue as this 750SS.
Started making the knob by turning tapers at both ends;

Cut a 12mm recess with an end mill before drilling and tapping for a 7/16 x 20 left hand thread;

Used a slitting saw to cut the ends at two angles - half cut square to the knob centre and the other half roughly parallel to the angled mounting post;

Didn't get any photos of turning the 316 stainless hardware or modifying the screws

And assembled;

That's about it for the 750SS I think.

Mike

PacRat

Some things really are worth waiting for. Well done!

Donnyboat

Yes very sweet Mike, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat