Spinning reel for surf fishing

Started by pjstevko, July 27, 2022, 04:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I think 700 is too large as well, especially if using braid.  I'd go with 712 or 716 for school bass.

If you want to throw it down in the sand then get the PUM.  Otherwise the full bail is more convenient.

Aiala

In my (long-vanished) youth, I used greenies (filled with mono) to surf cast for stripers, blues, even an occasional weakfish or fluke. That gorgeous 700 of Fred's will never let you down... it's a venerable golden oldie, tough as a rhinoceros, and coming from Fred, as good (if not better) than new. I cannot imagine any scenario where you'd be disappointed.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Brewcrafter

PJ - I think Fred has you covered, that looks like a sweet rig.  In looking at your original post:
Quote from: pjstevko on July 27, 2022, 04:18:44 AMI'll only be using the reel once a year or every other year so I'm not looking to spend a fortune but understand I will need a reel that is sealed/partially sealed and can take a saltwater dunking or two....
I almost want to say you are looking at two related challenges.
Dunking - that will encompass all of the unpleasantness of salt water, along with whatever sand/shells/grit that was in it.  And a good "AT Ohana Approved" service with appropriate lube and service, followed by rinsings, will pretty much help you with the saltwater part of the equation-
Sand and Grit A reel doesn't have to take a swim/dunk to incur sand and grit.  I have found enough wind driven sand in "personal" places after a surf trip to ask "how the heck...."  Hey, it's part of the environment.  I am not discouraging you from any path above; I am only saying that a "dunk", while serious, may not be the biggest issue. But then again, you are also talking about "once or twice a year" so while it would make most of us on this forum cringe, with quality gear you may very well be able to go for years with NO maintenance and it will continue to work just fine. - john

pjstevko

I kindly took Fred up on his offer of the Greenie!

It'll get used for a couple days a year mostly shore based but might go for a wade or two....

foakes

It is in excellent condition, PJ —-

However, I will break it completely down, evacuate and clean out all old grease, replace the bail spring, bumper and spring, main bearing, relube liberally with Yamaha Marine, oil with synthetic WRL191S, fine tune, and send it off with the future tune-up kit.

The thing to remember, IMO is —- while fishing for 20 lb. Schoolies —- we always hope for a beast to take the bait.

If fishing with a lighter reel —- oftentimes permanent damage will occur —- and either lose the fish of a lifetime —- or tweak a reel —- or both.

That will not happen with this reel.  If you set the hook well —- the fish will be brought to shore.

With no drama —- and ready for the next cast.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

PJ, IMO, that reel is so sweet it is worthy of a custom travel rod at some point. That's an heirloom set up given condition.

pjstevko

Quote from: thorhammer on July 28, 2022, 01:05:11 AMPJ, IMO, that reel is so sweet it is worthy of a custom travel rod at some point. That's an heirloom set up given condition.

The reel and rod will stay at my mom's house in Connecticut. For now it'll go on a 9' two piece Tsunami Airwave rod just due to transport issues in her vehicle. In the future I may upgrade the rod but for now the rod will do

thorhammer

steelfish

Quote from: pjstevko on July 28, 2022, 03:47:15 AM
Quote from: thorhammer on July 28, 2022, 01:05:11 AM........For now it'll go on a 9' two piece Tsunami Airwave rod just due to transport issues in her vehicle.

thats a great rod, I love mine, I have the 1st gen with the Hardloy guides, I really dont feel like customize it or re-wrap it and also its not on the list of my factory rods to sell  ;)
I dont think I can build a good surf fishing rod like this for the $100 or less I might get for it.

errr in my case I use it with a Van Staal 275 reel  8) but the reel its kind of too heavy for the light rod, so, I normally use a small shimano sonora 4000 reel with 30# braid

The Baja Guy

foakes

Did a quick full service and replaced a few key parts with new in between doing a few other restores this morning.  A couple of DQ 265 Microlites, 110 Microlite, a 220, & a SW68 Standard.

Also doing a JC Higgins old plastic 500 that a client sent me disassembled in a box.  He was having trouble getting it back together due to the unique parts operation and fragile 60 year old plastic.

Your Penn 700 Greenie is set up Salt ready.

May not be able to ship until Monday, PJ —-

Have a Church remodel project down in Fresno tomorrow —- but may not make it to the Post office on limited Saturday hours.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pjstevko

Looks great Fred! No hurry on the shipping, I don't home until December. Thanks again

MarkT

I don't think you'll be wading the sound in Dec!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on July 30, 2022, 12:59:16 AMI don't think you'll be wading the sound in Dec!

Sure I will with plenty of layers and some waders but it'll only be knee high