3 on a 33

Started by Wompus Cat, September 04, 2022, 04:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

3 Stripers 19, 23, and 25 inches on an Old 60's All Metal  Zebco 33 with 10 Pound Test Mono. On and old Berkley Bounty Hunter Graphite Composite 6.5 Foot 2 Piece Rod using a 1/8 oz. Jig head with a Chartreuse Rubber Minnow.
Fishing off neighbors Dock Here at Lake Whitney . About 7AM August 3
They were schooling  in about 40 Feet of Water for about 5 minutes chasing Shad against the Rock Bank.
Last 10 years I have been just throwing these back as they could be 25 inches long and just NO Meat on them . These filleted out very nice and had lots of Meat so I being a Catch and Release type of Fisherman caught them Filleted them and Released into a Hot Fish Fryer. :d
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

Good for you, Henry! I'm  one of those C&R fanatics like you, especially on walleyes & crappies!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

Congratulations!  Nice fish on a classic rig.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Brewcrafter

Nice!  Awesome gear, and hey those are what we call "eatin' size" much better than the bigger ones. - john

CooldadE

Those Stripers are feisty ! I live on the California Delta and catch my fair share. When I fish the San Francisco Bay and catch them they are much more feisty . Something about the salt water...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Gfish

Very nice.
Used to carry a 33+rod+a few lures.
Headed from hwy. 101, N.Cal, through the foothills on hwy. 152, East to the most boring Freeway maybe in the country I-5, and then on to Vegas to meet an old girlfriend. I had to stop along the San Luis res., cause it looked so good, even though I's thinkin about other good things. Not expecting to get even a bite, cool surprise!, a big lake Striper on a jig/bobber combo. Heck of a fight on 6lb. Ya just never know...
 Turned-out to be the highlight of the whole trip, even though we stayed at the Mandalay. She had put-on some serious weight since I last saw her.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Old skool duz the job !!!  :al
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

Quote from: Gfish on September 05, 2022, 01:49:51 AMVery nice.
Used to carry a 33+rod+a few lures.
Headed from hwy. 101, N.Cal, through the foothills on hwy. 152, East to the most boring Freeway maybe in the country I-5, and then on to Vegas to meet an old girlfriend. I had to stop along the San Luis res., cause it looked so good, even though I's thinkin about other good things. Not expecting to get even a bite, cool surprise!, a big lake Striper on a jig/bobber combo. Heck of a fight on 6lb. Ya just never know...
 Turned-out to be the highlight of the whole trip, even though we stayed at the Mandalay. She had put-on some serious weight since I last saw her.

The state record for striped bass was caught in O'neill Forebay.  (The forebay was named after my wife's uncle Jack O'Neill).  So you were close. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on September 12, 2022, 05:03:12 PM[quote author=Gfish link=msg=420213 date=1662342591
The state record for striped bass was caught in O'neill Forebay.  (The forebay was named after my wife's uncle Jack O'Neill).  So you were close. Dominick

https://www.fresnofair.com/p/education/museums/big-fresno-fair-museum/the-life-of-je-oneill
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Interesting. I fished the forebay on a planed trip several months latter in my float-tube and didn't get a bite or see hide n'r hair of any fish. I sure looked fishy, though. Went back over to the Res. on that same trip and skunked again... ya just never know... Sorry Henry, kinda jackin this thread.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Gfish on September 12, 2022, 08:48:15 PMSorry Henry, kinda jackin this thread.

I ain't got  No Patent on the Content Herein ,whereas ,heretofore and
wherefore, before and hereinafter or otherwise implied to . :fish
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Paul Roberts

Cor

Nice ones.  We don't get those here.   Good for you, nothing wrong with killin some to feed the hungry mouths.
Cornelis