New at ICAST 2022: PENN Authority spinning reel

Started by Tunanorth, July 16, 2022, 07:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Nice reel, alot of great features. I don't get how adding a bearing to the pinion does what he claims though.

Tunanorth

Congrats to the PENN reel development team [incluidng Ben in the video].
The Authority spinning reel just won "Best New Saltwater Reel" at the ICAST Show!

thorhammer

Hi gents! I saw some pics of the Fathom; nice! Will they come in a DCS model?

John

Tunanorth

Nice wahoo [first ever for this angler] caught aboard the American Angler, using the Authority 6500 spinning reel.

Gfish

Whoa! $500+. Gettin up there towards Stella territory. Is it just me, or does it outwardly resemble a Daiwa BG.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tunanorth

Quote from: Gfish on October 19, 2022, 10:07:42 PMWhoa! $500+. Gettin up there towards Stella territory. Is it just me, or does it outwardly resemble a Daiwa BG.

Stella SW models start at $900, and go well over $1,300.
These are more in the price category of the Twin Power.

sabaman1

JIM

foakes

It is an excellent reel at a good price point —- assuming parts support is 20-25 years —- not 3-5 years like Shimano Stellas.

Is this reel US made, or Asian?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Quote from: Tunanorth on October 20, 2022, 01:24:42 AM
Quote from: Gfish on October 19, 2022, 10:07:42 PMWhoa! $500+. Gettin up there towards Stella territory. Is it just me, or does it outwardly resemble a Daiwa BG.

Stella SW models start at $900, and go well over $1,300.
These are more in the price category of the Twin Power.

Ok. Ignorant comment on my part. Given what I've HEARD about the Stella, if I could buy a new one at a massive discount for that $500+ price point,  or a comparable Penn Authority, I'd fer sure get the Penn. Shimano has some great designs, but sometimes the material quality is lacking. Penn has the parts/service and tuff-build advantage, IMO.
They do outwardly resemble a BG, but it's materials, innovations and design that really count, not finish colors or shape.
Winning an award means something, but perhaps not that much to me. And exactly WHAT does it mean......? i.e. time, use and testing is what I look for, but maybe I'm fooling myself...?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!