How do you make braid slip on a spool

Started by oldmanjoe, April 27, 2024, 01:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King, JC172 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oldmanjoe

:)  I know ,there is a lot of members of the pig tail club .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Brewcrafter

Okay, I am going to do a PSA here for a lot of folks following this thread that may be into vintage reels and are reading and learning from the sidelines:  DO NOT tie off to your spool on the little mushroom nub and call it good.  Convenient and easy - yes.  That is only pressed in, and it will fail when you don't want it to.  Sure, you can tie off to it as a starting point, but then use a good knot that actually wraps around the spool.  "But John, if a fish spools me down that far what difference does it make?"  If a fish spools you, yeah you're pretty much screwed.  But if your rod happens to go overboard... seen it happen, and when you are handlining up from a rats nest tangle (especially if you kicked the reel into free spool to give him slack while the deckhand was working on the science project in front of him) you will be thankful that the final connection to your rig is solid.  I have seen outfits brought back from the deep twice; and while I was not on last year's SOA trip I believe it even happened there. It's not an uncommon occurrence, and if tying an extra knot can help avoid the heartbreak...- john

JasonGotaProblem

The thing is when you get spooled, something happens next. The weak point is discovered. Maybe it's your leader knot maybe hook knot, maybe your arbor knot, maybe your reel's gears.

But if it's the arbor knot you lost a full spool of line in addition to the fish. And polluted the ocean with a full spools worth of braid, whose ecological impact is unlikely to be limited to that one fish on the hook.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 01, 2024, 11:12:37 AMAnd polluted the ocean with a full spools worth of braid, whose ecological impact is unlikely to be limited to that one fish on the hook.

Spectra floats and can cause a lot of trouble when caught in props and prop shaft seals.  This is why most of my reels have heavier spectra than the topshot.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

THE OHANA KNOT

That is what I want to call it .  It was developed here on this site with a bolt and string and reading all your input posts , thinking and analyzing everything . Joint effort

I have been looking all over to see if there is anything remotely tied like this for braid to arbor .  All 3 version of it .  I have not found anything .   Everything that I looked at and read goes back to tape and a backing to prevent slip on the arbor

Need testers and lookers to verify it works and can be called the Ohana knot .
    If this pans out , need someone to make the instruction video , I really really suck at public speaking .  Looking forward to see your results .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jurelometer

Good for you on testing different arbor knots, but it is a bit of a stretch to say that you have cured braid slipping  on an actual filled spool. 

You are starting with an unproven assertion that the knot is the problem, and not the spool fill.  Zero testing on full spools slipping and then your "better" arbor knot solving the slippage compared to other arbor tying methods using the same spool filling regimen.

In my experience, several different knots will hold just fine if you put a few extra wraps on the spool before tying the knot. No tape needed.  The statement that "Everything that I looked at and read goes back to tape and a backing to prevent slip on the arbor"  is contradicted , even on this very thread.   

Lots of stuff goes wrong with a low tension spool fill with braid, including line slipping.  We don't know the actual mechanism(s) for the slippage, but there are several theories in this thread - and they all rely on a loose fill as the root cause.

I am 100% behind looking at how to improve arbor knots.  I just don't think that we are doing a service for the average casual reader who comes here to find out what to do about braid slipping,  skims this thread, and comes away with a new knot instead of a properly filled spool.

Here is an analogy for you:  wheels coming off of cars because some folk are not properly tightening the lug nuts.  The best solution will not be coming up with an "improved" Nylock lug nut.   :)

-J

oldmanjoe

:)   I am here to learn and share information  .   What provoked me to start this thread is to myth bust some thing that are out there .    I am not picking on the people who posted the u tubes , I just don`t agree with their fixes .  I will break down some of my thoughts in following posts . Here are 2 example were the braid stack rolls around the arbors  .

oldmanjoe

::) Friendly banter .  Do you mean this guy .

jurelometer

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 01, 2024, 08:22:02 PM::) Friendly banter .  Do you mean this guy .

I have to admit that that made me laugh.  :d

-J

oldmanjoe

Quote from: jurelometer on May 01, 2024, 10:22:45 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 01, 2024, 08:22:02 PM::) Friendly banter .  Do you mean this guy .

-J
:D   Good , because I did giggle a little when I posted it .   Gotta have a little fun ..  :d

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: jurelometer on May 01, 2024, 10:22:45 PM

-J
I can claim expert status in this one.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.