Updated for 2022 Okuma Alijos 2 speed reel

Started by jzman, June 14, 2022, 05:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzman

Okuma Alijos was released I believe in 2020.  According to Charkbait, it was updated with thrust bearing this year (2022).

Here is the teardown/maintenance video of the Alijos from Okuma Global's youtube channel (weird electronic music just mute it).:

The thrust bearing is removed at 10:04.  I'm guessing this reel would still be considered a "medium" frame reel and to replace the Metaloid/Andros reels. 

Gfish

Thanks, good video. Nice reel. Rather complicated. Prolly take me about 5 dis/re-assembly tries to get about 1/2 way as efficient as the dude in the video.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MexicanGulf

so okuma Alijos models manufactured before 2022 are not equipped with thrust bearings?

Swami805

Yes, the newer ones have "thrust bearing " written on the side plate so you can tell which ones have it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jzman

I heard they took all the unsold reels and updated them all with the thrust bearing.  I have the 5ii and the 16ii.  Very nice reels for the price.  The movement of the lever drag  adjustment is very smooth and has very little resistance compared to the Makaira.  Also, the Alijos will cast a lot easier than the Makaira.

MexicanGulf

Quote from: Swami805 on May 29, 2023, 01:30:16 PMYes, the newer ones have "thrust bearing " written on the side plate so you can tell which ones have it

Can you explain to me what should be written there? maybe you have a picture to help me understand, thanks.

MarkT

It's not hard to tell if it has a thrust bearing!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

MexicanGulf