Started a full cage for the 614

Started by WVHillbilly, August 07, 2022, 07:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVHillbilly

Started my first attempt at a full cage for the Dolphin 614. Started with a slug of aluminum and turned ID & OD so far. Next the holes and milling .... We shall see if I can avoid screwing it up. Undecided yet on reel stand setup and cut outs.
Feeshin is Feeshin

Wompus Cat

Ya Got My Attention ................... :d  :d
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mhc

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Gfish

Whoa! Cool dude. Can't wait to see the progress. Man I wish I had machinist skills and tools.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

Hillbilly, I got you covered on stand feet, if you wish. I have both some Penn International stands from 30 VISX tubular frame (probably way overkill for the Dolphin, and the radius may not match) and some Tiburon straight feet that would only require you to mill or file a rectangular slot on your tube, and tap two holes. Bang. Yours to play with, if you want. Just PM me your address.

John

WVHillbilly

Quote from: thorhammer on August 08, 2022, 12:37:11 PMHillbilly, I got you covered on stand feet, if you wish. I have both some Penn International stands from 30 VISX tubular frame (probably way overkill for the Dolphin, and the radius may not match) and some Tiburon straight feet that would only require you to mill or file a rectangular slot on your tube, and tap two holes. Bang. Yours to play with, if you want. Just PM me your address.

John
That may be a dandy solution. Alan had posted some links to Penn stands at mystic. I had considered trying to machine a slot to accept the original factory seat, but not studied it enough yet. Can you post a pic of the tib stand please or message me. whatever is easier.  Very kind offer and thank you
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

Was planning on milling a flat anyway
Feeshin is Feeshin

oldmanjoe

Maannn  We should be neighbors ,  we be like gasoline and matches
 I have been on the look out for some  aluminium stock for the same reasons .
  Did you start with solid stock or heavy wall tube stock ?   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Squidder Bidder

It never ceases to amaze me when I see the fabricating skills of some of you here, and what projects you'll attempt. Can't wait to see the result, Hillbilly.  :d

WVHillbilly

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 08, 2022, 02:33:21 PMMaannn  We should be neighbors ,  we be like gasoline and matches
In this case it was a solid slug, but have used tubing before for making cross bars. tubing makes things easier but not always easy to find in useable meat on diameters ID/OD
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 08, 2022, 02:33:21 PMMaannn  We should be neighbors ,  we be like gasoline and matches
Only downside to solid slug is waste of material, takes more time, and ya have a pile of chips up ta ya @ss
Feeshin is Feeshin

oldmanjoe

You an`t kidding , doesn`t take long to fill up 3 groceries bags of ribbons and chips ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: WVHillbilly on August 08, 2022, 03:29:26 PM
Only downside to solid slug is waste of material, takes more time, and ya have a pile of chips up ta ya @ss

Too bad you don't have a DEEP HOLE SAW attachment so you could save a chunk. Make frames for the next smaller size Reel, Then the Next ,Then the Next.   
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him