Started a full cage for the 614

Started by WVHillbilly, August 07, 2022, 07:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

How much an equipment upgrade is it to keep them chips and melt em down?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 08, 2022, 05:36:04 PMYou an`t kidding , doesn`t take long to fill up 3 groceries bags of ribbons and chips ...

Yup. I made a couple of spools recently.

Shellbelly

You need an apprentice to clean the shop!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 08, 2022, 06:48:52 PMHow much an equipment upgrade is it to keep them chips and melt em down?

Molten Aluminum Stream
Application Overview

The smelting of aluminum occurs at 800°C/1475°F, while the melting point of aluminum is 660°C/1190°F. As a result, the molten aluminum contains excess thermal energy as it is drawn from the smelting pot. This excess energy is sometimes used to melt supplementary recycled aluminum before the metal is poured into the ingot molds. The addition of this supplemental aluminum cools the stream, therefore an accurate, real-time stream temperature is essential for optimal efficiency.

You can get a 110 volt small smelter for a couple hundred bux.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

WVHillbilly

At around 20 or so a slug, I will stick with what I know. I'd burn the dang shop down. now lead another matter for other things
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 08, 2022, 06:59:32 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 08, 2022, 05:36:04 PMYou an`t kidding , doesn`t take long to fill up 3 groceries bags of ribbons and chips ...

Nice machine ya got there. Much nicer then my old 1939 atlas 10" I brought home in baskets and boxes. Same with my mill".... Rebuilt it all from scratch. Does fine but gotta use patience and a bit of touch here and there. Scored a nice, barely used SB heavy ten with all the extras, but fellas I do work for needed a decent lathe to make some company specific parts. I am too nice a fella. Should have kept it for myself.
Feeshin is Feeshin

Squidder Bidder

Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 08, 2022, 06:59:32 PM

Looks more like you made custom Christmas tinsel and had a couple of spools left over.

jurelometer

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 08, 2022, 10:52:27 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 08, 2022, 06:48:52 PMHow much an equipment upgrade is it to keep them chips and melt em down?

Molten Aluminum Stream
Application Overview

The smelting of aluminum occurs at 800°C/1475°F, while the melting point of aluminum is 660°C/1190°F. As a result, the molten aluminum contains excess thermal energy as it is drawn from the smelting pot. This excess energy is sometimes used to melt supplementary recycled aluminum before the metal is poured into the ingot molds. The addition of this supplemental aluminum cools the stream, therefore an accurate, real-time stream temperature is essential for optimal efficiency.

You can get a 110 volt small smelter for a couple hundred bux.

Normally the aluminum curlies go in a barrel and get sold to the recycler.

You could buy a little forge to melt it all down and cast it into ingots.  Probably won't be able to fit half a pound of curlies in a four pound crucible.  But now you have ingots.  6061 ingots wont be so great for machining or gravity casting (unless you also get into alloying), but you can sell them to the recycler  ;D

The argument against tubular stock is that internal stresses from the tube formation get relieved as you cut it, so it is harder to hold dimensional accuracy unless you start with thicker stock and skin it first.  Don't know how big a deal this is, but this is how it was explained to me. Curious if anybody here has tried it and has some real world results.

Always fun to see members machining projects!

-J

Wompus Cat

ERR UHH 6061 IS an aluminium alloy, containing magnesium and silicon as its major alloying elements. It has good mechanical properties and exhibits good weldability. It is one of the most common alloys of aluminium for general purpose use.

A general plinker is not going to be able to per say  melt down used ribbons and chips of 6061 to use for machining new parts like the ones you are extruding from the blank you used to start with .However if you are able to mix a little proportionate Silicon Metal with it you would get 356 which industry makes engine blocks and heads out of then if you could presureize this molted material into molds you would have limitless possibilities  or just sell the ingots as scrap and it fetches more than chips at the re-cyclers and use the proceeds to buy more of the material you want .
Like  :d

jurelometer

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 10, 2022, 06:22:42 PMERR UHH 6061 IS an aluminium alloy, containing magnesium and silicon as its major alloying elements. It has good mechanical properties and exhibits good weldability. It is one of the most common alloys of aluminium for general purpose use.

A general plinker is not going to be able to per say  melt down used ribbons and chips of 6061 to use for machining new parts like the ones you are extruding from the blank you used to start with .However if you are able to mix a little proportionate Silicon Metal with it you would get 356 which industry makes engine blocks and heads out of then if you could presureize this molted material into molds you would have limitless possibilities  or just sell the ingots as scrap and it fetches more than chips at the re-cyclers and use the proceeds to buy more of the material you want .

You sure like to argue Henry :)

Did you notice that you were agreeing with me :)

Quote from: jurelometer on August 10, 2022, 05:57:18 PM6061 ingots wont be so great for machining or gravity casting (unless you also get into alloying)

Something like less than 1% silicone in 6061, and something like 10% in 380 (a common alloy for gravity casting).  6061 was formulated to be poured, rolled and then machined.  Has some fluidity issues, so they recommend centrifugal if you are going to cast the stuff. I haven't cast aluminum since high school, but at the local shop,  the sand casting crowd walked right past those barrels of 6061 scrap in search of old engine blocks or the holy grail- aluminum wheels. Whatever was in the wheel alloy (more nickle?) tended to make for a better surface finish.

Skipping all the time spent in front of a forge,  I would be curious if the cost of melting down the curlies into ingots justified the increased price. 

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: jurelometer on August 10, 2022, 07:46:59 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 10, 2022, 06:22:42 PMERR UHH 6061 IS an aluminium alloy, containing magnesium and silicon as its major alloying elements. It has good mechanical properties and exhibits good weldability. It is one of the most common alloys of aluminium for general purpose use.

You sure like to argue Henry :)

Did you notice that you were agreeing with me :)

Quote from: jurelometer on August 10, 2022, 05:57:18 PM6061 ingots wont be so great for machining or gravity casting (unless you also get into alloying)

Something like less than 1% silicone in 6061, and something like 10% in 380 (a common alloy for gravity casting).  6061 was formulated to be poured, rolled and then machined.  Has some fluidity issues, so they recommend centrifugal if you are going to cast the stuff. I haven't cast aluminum since high school, but at the local shop,  the sand casting crowd walked right past those barrels of 6061 scrap in search of old engine blocks or the holy grail- aluminum wheels. Whatever was in the wheel alloy (more nickle?) tended to make for a better surface finish.

Skipping all the time spent in front of a forge,  I would be curious if the cost of melting down the curlies into ingots justified the increased price. 

-J

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 10, 2022, 07:56:02 PMDidnt mean to start a fight.

Not your fault.  An honest question.  Deserves an honest answer. 

Hopefully back on topic now.

-J

What's the sense of wrestling with a pig? You both get all over muddy . . . and the pig likes it. - CS Ching

WVHillbilly

Well ... got a bit ahead of myself and fugged it up a bit. Trying to see if I can salvage it now. Cortez Customs was kind enough to send me a reel seat for the project. Locating the side plate screw holes requires a lot of attention. Couple thou off might as well be a couple feet. I wasn't feeling the best either, and was in too damn big a hurry to get the fist holes located and drilled. This is how we learn sometimes. if I cannot salvage the piece then. New one will needed turned, and may be able to use this one for some cross bars.
Feeshin is Feeshin

oldmanjoe

I know what you mean ...  I do not have a rotary table either .  So it`s trying to make templates and index marks .

Post pictures so i can learn or plug up the problem   ::)   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare