DAM Quick 1400 Championship Reel

Started by foakes, August 12, 2022, 06:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The year was 1979.

For 12 years, DQ had manufactured (2) runs of high quality reels known as the Finessa Series that ranged from the tiny Microlites to the HD Offshores.  This included 14 reels in both the traditional design and also the newer "N" line.

However, always looking ahead, and being keenly aware of the competition coming out of Asia —- DQ started designing a completely new line of (6) reels in 1976.

These incorporated sleek looks, an aluminum skirted spool, the strongest drive train to date with steel worm-drive & phosper cut bronze and steel gearing, centerline solid A/R, all aircraft grade aluminum, and many unique but simple and useful features.

DQ could have followed suit with the same designs as the Asian offerings —- but, as was typical of DAM for 100 years —- they blazed their own trail using only the highest quality materials, precise and exact engineering, and tight tolerances of less than a Mil, that never seem to degrade over decades.

This was the only way they knew how to operate.  No corners, no shortcuts, no compromises.  Reels that would be handed down to the next generation —- not tossed in the graveyard of disposable reels that looked good on the tackle shop shelf.

(6) reels were in this line —- 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, and a special size to fit a much needed niche for many anglers —- a 1400.  This unusual high speed reel fit between a 2000 sized reel and the tiny 1000 sized Microlite.

These were not offered in abundance —- but for knowing and experienced anglers —- they fit perfectly and fulfilled a missing link overlooked by other manufacturers.

Power way above their intended range, smooth casting, adjustable bail snap, lightweight package.

These seldom come up for sale —- and are one of the rarest DQ's —- as well as one of the most capable.

I have a couple of these that are brand new in the box with the hard to find extensive owners manual, spare connecting arm for left or right hand cranking, and a spare bail spring.  In plastic bags from the factory.

Never on a rod, never filled with line, never handled except for these photos.

$150 each, and I will split the Priority shipping with you.

Figure $155, delivered to your door.

I am shipping (7) reels this afternoon.  So if you catch me before late afternoon, I will ship this to you today.  No payment accepted until you receive the reels and are satisfied.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

DougK

beautiful..
if I was a younger man.. as it is I have too many reels and not enough time to fish them in the few years left..

the other 'lost' quote from Dan'l  I like to use on my travelling companions is,
"I'm not lost, I know exactly where I am. A mite confused about where everything else is, that's all.."

foakes

Quote from: DougK on August 12, 2022, 06:59:21 PMI have too many reels and not enough time to fish them in the few years left..

For me, it is not how many years I might have left, Doug —-

It is rather, with a lifetime of experience, both missteps & good steps —- how do I enjoy every minute of every day that are in the remaining years?

Why should the young guys get all the good stuff?

We deserve it also.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Nice looking/sounding reel.
You write some great sales copy Fred. The type of detail serious buyer dudes would be looking for.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

Quote from: foakes on August 12, 2022, 07:18:51 PM
Quote from: DougK on August 12, 2022, 06:59:21 PMI have too many reels and not enough time to fish them in the few years left..

It is rather, with a lifetime of experience, both missteps & good steps —- how do I enjoy every minute of every day that are in the remaining years?  Why should the young guys get all the good stuff?  We deserve it also.
Best, Fred

Interesting POV Fred. Maybe I'l keep those high-end reels that I don't use anymore after all.
I often wonder, when looking at estate sales, what mine will look like <sigh>.   :(

Balvar24

Quote from: nelz on August 13, 2022, 01:57:45 PM
Quote from: foakes on August 12, 2022, 07:18:51 PM

It is rather, with a lifetime of experience, both missteps & good steps —- how do I enjoy every minute of every day that are in the remaining years?  Why should the young guys get all the good stuff?  We deserve it also.
Best, Fred

Interesting POV Fred. Maybe I'l keep those high-end reels that I don't use anymore after all.
I often wonder, when looking at estate sales, what mine will look like <sigh>.   :(

I hope mine looks wore out!