First attempt at a surf conventional rod

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 29, 2022, 10:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

Quote from: Gfish on January 09, 2023, 03:48:38 PMOne thing about conventional/baitcaster use for me is to remember to do a couple a practice casts when first starting-out,
I was taught to check the free spool with the full load you're casting.  Rod tip up at about 45 degrees, go to free spool, have thumb ready.  The leader should move gently to the ground and the spool stops.  Tighten or loosen spool as needed.

YES, this limits distance.  NO you most likely will not ever cast as far as a spinner.  You will however greatly reduce over spooling and save thumbprints.

If you are fishing gut-and-bar surf and have found the break in the bar, you don't need to cast a mile.  You may not even need to get wet. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Swami805

Hard on the bearings/bushings to use them for cast control, a little side to side play of the spool they'll last longer
Do what you can with that you have where you are

DaBig2na

I'm not hot on that stripper guide nor the second one either. The Fuji K guides are very reasonable.. The butt to the back of the reel is one of the most important measurements you need based on your casting style.

Most all my conventional surf rods have trigger reel seats..30 to 31 inches from the butt.. You're only going to get so much distance from that rod blank and it's length. Looks pretty good for your first one.. In Tampa your close to Get Bit or MudHole.. Some of the Rainshadow surf blanks are cheap.. Id suggest a 1509 or 1508 and cut 12" off the butt and make it a 12' rod.

I only cast mono on my conventional stuff.. I prefer ProSpec, or Suffix Tritanium Plus.
Trilene Big Game is perfect for a beginner. 20# is way over kill because of the drag that reel puts out..
The Real World Doesn't Care About "Your Feelings" or Your "Wokeness"
I'm in the Real World!