Bought compared to parts build

Started by Lunker Larry, August 28, 2022, 08:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

I was swapping over parts for an emergency repair for a guy who broke the frame on a Tranx 400. He had it on a telescopic rod which was stuck and the reel frame broke when banging the but on the ground to try and loosen it up. I've repaired I think 1 tanx and 3 ABU Beast reels that frames broke doing the same thing. Be aware. Anyway, back to my story.
I was swapping everything over to the new frame when the customer asked what it would cost if you built a reel from parts. Said I had no idea but the thought stayed with me so the next day I added it up.
This is for a Tranx 400, Canadian prices. Current price at Cabela's is $430. 127 parts comes to $690 with tax. Shimano shipping which has gone nuts will add another good chunk to that.
Just thought I'd throw that out there. ;D
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

boon

I was talking to someone recently that mentioned how the "parts cost" of a car (using list price for the parts) is way way beyond what buying the entire car costs. In some markets it is economically feasible to buy brand new vehicles just to dismantle them for parts.

Obviously the "parts cost" includes warehousing the bits for possible years, the chance that nobody will ever buy it, and the administrivia involved in actually selling the parts to people.

EDIT: It does kinda blow me away what gets sunk into hot-rodding reels too.... to end up with a reel that is objectively less capable than an off-the-shelf Makaira, for example... but the value is in the uniqueness, and the "doing".

foakes

I know this sounds weird and to some sacrilegious —- but when Walmart or some one has a sale on reels that I commonly work on for clients —- I just buy a dozen at a time.

When a part is needed I just take it off the new reel —- if I don't have it in the inventory bins.

An example —- a Penn 209 levelwind has an issue with the levelwind mechanism after trolling with lead core.  Strip the 8 or 9 LW parts from a new reel that might be needed.  This generally pays for the cost of the new reel, or close.

Client pays $30 service + $50 for the parts + $10 for new drags.

Toss the rest of the reel into he parts inventory.

...Free Parts... spool, frame, posts, stand, gears, internals, sideplates, etc..

Or, if someone needs a replacement reel right away on short notice —- I just hand them a new one still in the box.

This won't work on all reels —- but it works on enough quality reels like Penns —- to make it a worthwhile option.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Interesting. What's a new 209 cost, and do you godda pay shipping on an order of 12 of 'em.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

When I bought 10 last year (6 209's, 2 9's, and 2 309's) from WalMart online —- the 2 day shipping was free.

The 9's were $39, the 209's were $59, and the 309's were $61.

Took 4 apart for clients —- have the rest of the parts in the bins as new —- and still have (6) reels left.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Wow, great prices. Economic thinking is challenging and interesting.
The other AM, I calculated that I could save ~$7 on gas at Costco, by driving 16 miles round trip(at 12.5 mpg in my van), from the Shell near my place, where it was $5.75/gal. It was $5.00 at Costco. 16.6 gal. Fill and it Turned-out to be $6.50 in total savings.  I got a low tire Pressure light on the way there. Better to find out then, than when I'm 30miles from home and not headed straight back.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

If you don't have direct business overhead such as a storefront and employees, then stockpiling parts doesn't really "cost" you if you regularly reach what you pay for inventory...unless you keep going into hock for places to store it. :D

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

jgp12000

Earlier in the year our local BPS had 9m,209,& 309s in the refurb bin for $20 ea.I got 2-309s for my friends in Destin,both grandsons got 209s and I kept a set of the 3 for myself.Since then BPS hasn't had any PENNS come in recents months,I always check every trip.Guess I was there at the right time.

MarkT

It's not just reels... Check out what it would cost to build your car from OEM parts vs just buying the car.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!