Which Old School Penn Reel Would You Modify?

Started by Crab Pot, September 09, 2022, 11:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike ferdinands and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Crab Pot

So I'm board and looking at all these Tiburon "turbo kits" to modify Ole School Peen reels.

I'm looking at the Squidder or Jigmaster but I'm not limited to those.

If you were to turbo an old Penn for 20-40 class fish, fly lining/yo-yo/surface iron, which would you choose?

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Wompus Cat

Do Both ! :d
And add Cortez Side plates . Aluminum Spool,All Stainless Guts .Power Handle  .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Crab Pot

Was just reading the Albacore Penn 99 reel thread.

No I have to go research that.

God I Love this Hobby!

PacRat

Jigmaster is a good place to start. Pure simplicity and plenty of strength with loads of aftermarket support. Jigmasters have bigger gears and drags than the Squidders. That's my two cents wort of advice.

-Mike

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Crab Pot on September 09, 2022, 11:59:53 PMWas just reading the Albacore Penn 99 reel thread.

No I have to go research that.

God I Love this Hobby!

And He Is Off
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Swami805

I like the 501 with a 99 A very close 2nd.  So many parts available
Do what you can with that you have where you are

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shellbelly

There are sooooo many good choices nowadays.  What it boils down to is how it looks to you and how long that look will last. The insides are the easy part.

My.02 is: stay narrow, my friend. 8)
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

MarkT

20-40# fish? A 501 or 99 will get it done all day long!

Forget a Squidder for yo-yo or surface iron... way to,slow. Actually, I'd prefer to consign them to the dustbin of history!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Agree, the Penn Jigmaster 501. You maybe can get 5:1 gears for one and there are alota diffrent mods avalible for the Jiggy's.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Quote from: MarkT on September 10, 2022, 04:33:48 AM20-40# fish? A 501 or 99 will get it done all day long!

Forget a Squidder for yo-yo or surface iron... way to,slow. Actually, I'd prefer to consign them to the dustbin of history!

Cheers !!  :d
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

The Jigmaster is called a Jigmaster for a reason. If you could find a narrow 3/0 kit (not likely,) I might recommend that as it will be even faster than the Jigmaster, but you certainly can get it done with the smaller reel, and it is easier to cast.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Squidder Bidder

As you might have guessed, I'm a Squidder fanboy. I've "chopped" two 140 Squidders down into 146 size with the aftermarket parts we have via members here which are all top notch. For aesthetic reasons I went with the Pro Challenger spacer bars in lieu of a Tiburon frame. Tom at Cortez just put out custom machined reel stands/bases and I swapped out a narrow stand for the stock 30-49. I figure that in the narrow configuration and with the beefed up spacer bars replacing stock I shouldn't have any problems at the top end of the reel's drag if something big bites.

I found some new old stock stainless steel main gears so I'm comfortable that it'll hold up to Bryan's 5+1 drag upgrade and a stainless sleeve.

All of this is to say that sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone.  ^-^  I probably could have saved a few bucks and bought Avets but there's a part of me that still wants to fish these old Penns that my grandfather fished with.

Crab Pot

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on September 11, 2022, 02:13:51 PMAll of this is to say that sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone.  ^-^  I probably could have saved a few bucks and bought Avets but there's a part of me that still wants to fish these old Penns that my grandfather fished with.

That was my motivation as well. Except for me it was the reels my Dad and I used.

On my last San Diego trip my friend Joe had a hot rodded Squidder that was handling the Yellowtail just fine. However after the suggestions above I think I'll be looking for a 505HS.

Anyone have one for sale?  ;)

Squidder Bidder

Quote from: Crab Pot on September 11, 2022, 03:49:47 PM
Quote from: Squidder Bidder on September 11, 2022, 02:13:51 PMAll of this is to say that sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone.  ^-^  I probably could have saved a few bucks and bought Avets but there's a part of me that still wants to fish these old Penns that my grandfather fished with.

That was my motivation as well. Except for me it was the reels my Dad and I used.

On my last San Diego trip my friend Joe had a hot rodded Squidder that was handling the Yellowtail just fine. However after the suggestions above I think I'll be looking for a 505HS.

Anyone have one for sale?  ;)

That's what describe as the "Ship of Theseus" problem with hot rodding these older reels - is it still a Penn reel with aftermarket frame, side plates, bridge, gear set, etc?