Tackle hoarders, what have you picked up lately???

Started by pjstevko, September 14, 2022, 07:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 05, 2023, 04:56:33 AMFirst of 2023

Abu 5500C3 with ultracast spool soon to be a CT conversion.

Carbontex drags, ceramic bearings, spped bullet, and steel main gear are in transit. I'm gonna make a mag brake for it and call it a day. 

why go thru the hassle of the mag; just feather with your thumb.
Patience comes to those who wait

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: pointbob on April 24, 2023, 02:06:25 AMwhy go thru the hassle of the mag; just feather with your thumb.
I'm certainly quite far from the expert in the room. But the mag brake replaces the need for spool tensioner and the centripedal brakes, not the thumb. You still need the thumb. But i can't help thinking that these guys casting for distance records aren't likely lacking thumb skill, but they use them.

That reel I described above really means free when it free spools. The mag is the only brake. But I've done pretty well-knock on wood-at avoiding ratnests while casting pretty far.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

MarkT

Quote from: pointbob on April 24, 2023, 02:06:25 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 05, 2023, 04:56:33 AMFirst of 2023

Abu 5500C3 with ultracast spool soon to be a CT conversion.

Carbontex drags, ceramic bearings, spped bullet, and steel main gear are in transit. I'm gonna make a mag brake for it and call it a day. 
why go thru the hassle of the mag; just feather with your thumb.

Why? Because you can!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

I picked up a very hard to find Nomad Madmac 200 lure for BFT troling and a Penn FTHII  10XNLD2.  The reel is a ABU 5600 size 2 speed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

I'm picking up an all glass Calstar 90J and a 2 piece 10' Black Hole Suzuki surf rod right before I board the PQ for a 3 day trip

Hytekrednek

I recently got 2 Edge Silver Widow bass rods, a like new shimano left hand scorpian antares, a Shimano Antares DC, and a like new Lew's/Shimano BB1 speedspool.

Also got 5 old stock super rooster tails 1/4 oz

farmer56

farmer56 here two of my many favorite reels are lews BB1 BB2 your one lucky guy ... dennis

CincyDavid

My latest yesterday was a Shakespeare 2062 missing the decal/medallion on the side and non-functioning a/r and Mitchell 304 with bad peeling paint, $15 for the pair. Cleaned up the Shakespeare, coupla drops of gun oil got the a/r back to life and the Mitchell just needed gross old grease removed and relubed. Gonna find rods, get em spooled and fish both of them.

Swami805

I just got a diawa saltiga Z20 for SPJ. Should hold about 500 yards of 20lb braid. It has the auto clutch so a turn of the handle to put it in gear like a bait caster.
Looking forward to trying the deep but the weather and my schedule just aren't lining up
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

7000 from Cool, thanks, sir! CTS 1305 blank
 I bought in October is on my bench being built for Hatteras. 8'6" Silstar powertip from the 90's with plastic still on cork handle. Love them. Parts on way from UK to complete Rocket F2. Biggest size orange Bonita to try out Friday. Cutco fishing knife from my wife. She's awesome.

Love using my Lew's BB's.

Shellbelly

Got a new 9/0 spool to replace a blemished one. Making improvements one piece at a time.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

nelz

Quote from: Swami805 on May 04, 2023, 02:34:02 AMI just got a diawa saltiga Z20 for SPJ.

Very nice reels, congrats, but give us old-timers a break with the acronyms, what's "SPJ" ???

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on May 04, 2023, 02:34:02 AMI just got a diawa saltiga Z20 for SPJ. Should hold about 500 yards of 20lb braid.

you're getting a nice new toys for SPJ lately compa Sheridan
The Baja Guy

pjstevko

I picked up a 2 piece 10' Blackhole Suzuki Surf Fishing rod. I'm gonna use it with a 4000 series spinner with 20# braid to 12# leader for surf perch