Tackle hoarders, what have you picked up lately???

Started by pjstevko, September 14, 2022, 07:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I've been looking to upgrade my "heavy" game up from the Fathom 40NLD2.  So while browsing fleabay I was looking at the Fathom II 60NLD2, especially from the Australian sellers.  Woke up this morning and had a "Buy It Now" offer from the AUS seller for $258.  With tax, shipping, import, etc $290 delivered.  So I got up early, did the dishes, made breakfast, vacuumed, dusted, and asked SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) if I could buy it 🤣. With 50# of advertised drag (wishful thinking I suppose) and 700 yards of 100# braid I think I'm ready for a rematch with last years a##@|% tuna.  I know it's not a VISX or Makaira , but considering what the Fathom 40 went through last year I have high hopes for the 60N.  Delivery is estimated to be 9-20 days, but I have dealt with the seller before and I expect it on the low end of the scale.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Nice upgrade Bill! The 60 should do you well!!!!

What are your plans for the 40?

Bill B

Quote from: pjstevko on May 05, 2023, 09:58:29 PMNice upgrade Bill! The 60 should do you well!!!!

PJ, I'm thinking a good 40-60# reel for irons, wahoo, and dropper loop.  It casts farther than I want to retrieve.  Right now I have 80# braid and a long top shot of 50# mono.  I used it for yo-yo last year and it was a workout for throwing irons all day.  I will probably set up the 40N for yo-yo and wahoo and the Baja Special for dropper loop.  Bill

pjstevko

Quote from: Bill B on May 05, 2023, 10:05:27 PM
Quote from: pjstevko on May 05, 2023, 09:58:29 PMNice upgrade Bill! The 60 should do you well!!!!

PJ, I'm thinking a good 40-60# reel for irons, wahoo, and dropper loop.  It casts farther than I want to retrieve.  Right now I have 80# braid and a long top shot of 50# mono.  I used it for yo-yo last year and it was a workout for throwing irons all day.  I will probably set up the 40N for yo-yo and wahoo and the Baja Special for dropper loop.  Bill

Sounds like a great use for that reel!

farmer56

Bill B

Quote from: farmer56 on May 05, 2023, 11:14:15 PMfarmer56 here i love the SWMBO farmer out

I have to admit that was stolen from John aka Brewcrafter 😉

pjstevko

Last month I picked up a used Mak 20SEA and a used 7'6" UC RCX Viper

Crab Pot

I have a 40, Love it.

You made me laugh Bill.

My Father says it like this:

S-W-W-B-O

She Who Will Be Obeyed

Where referring to my Mom.  ;D
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

akroper

In my house, it's SWNINSAAW.  She Whose Name Is Not Spoken Above A Whisper.  We pronounce it SwinSaw.
Nine of the eleven voices in my head are telling me to go fishing today.

sciaenops

Bill, congrats on getting approval from the household financial authority. You are wise to retire your 40NLD2 when the bigger models are around (don't ask me how I know).

Hope the FTH 60 works out for you - imho you should hold out for a hvy frame reel for 100#+. Beg, grovel, capitulate for another hundred or 2.

MarkT

I picked up 2 Salas 7x in solid mint. Gotta get ready for Cedros in another month.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jgp12000

I just got a Penn 712z for $43 after shipping.It is so smooth I opened the cover just to look.I am not messing with it until I have to.

sciaenops

must be a slow time. Two new reels for the collection:

1) PG 255 Gold - for our Sep trip to Cedros, asked my crew to bring beaters to sabiki with (and then leave w/the locals). My bud Ronnie offered this - I said hell give that thing to me! and he did!! killed some monster whitefish last trip out. Thnx again Ronnie.

2) HX 5/2 Raptor MC (nib) - spooled to brim w/80# braid, marked to 300' gonna try it for jigging for tuna.

pjstevko

Last month I picked up a new first gen Fathom 15nld2 and a TR spj rod! Can't wait to break in the rod on the MB trip in 2 weeks

Link to rod https://templereef.com/elevate-2/

steelfish

recently I picked some reels up that a friend gave me, they came in a old forgotten rag bag, many were broken cheap and disposables reels that went directly to the trash can and only these ones seemed to worth the time and money to repair them, could be hard to find their missing parts, few felt pretty rough but seems that was only the old factory grease and old dirt.

reels in not particular order
Daiwa Procaster PR15, levelwind not working
Daiwa Procaster PR10G, just need a good service
Shimano Magnunlite Speedmaster BSM-1550-B , Just need a good service
Shimano Cardiff 200A, needs a good service and probably bearings
Quantum 1310MG, needed a good service and already upgraded the main drag to carbontex https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,37739.0.html
Shimano MLX 200 spinning, needs a good service
Shimano Sedona 4000FB, feels pretty smooth, needs a good service, a Spool assembly and new handle

The Baja Guy