Tackle hoarders, what have you picked up lately???

Started by pjstevko, September 14, 2022, 07:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

A small-size 8, 2-speed, LD, Shimano Speedmaster should be here soon. Thought about its competitors: the small Avet 2-speeds and the comparable Penn Fathoms, but decided to give Shimano a shot and I liked the no-shipping price.
Kinda like going to car dealership with a Honda in mind and comming home with a Hyundai cause it was cheaper, with a longer warranty, in the long-run you might lose-out... I say that, cause I wonder how long parts will be available for it and maybe even what spare parts I should stock-up on now, it being Shimano. Any Ideas or experiences?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

happyhooker

Work on that MLX 200.  I think you will find it worthwhile.

Frank

steelfish

Quote from: happyhooker on November 24, 2023, 08:29:48 PMWork on that MLX 200.  I think you will find it worthwhile.

Frank

yep, seems like a good small reel, it feels pretty smooth to turn, a good option for UL saltwater fishing with my 10ft 3/4oz lure salmon rod
The Baja Guy

kevin cozens

I recently picked up a pile of old reels for spares or repair. I also just took delivery of a nice little Mitchell 300 and still waiting for a lovely Abu Ambassadeur XLT2 LH Synchro to arrive.
I also got my eye on a Penn senator 9/0. Penn squall 30LD. A lovely Daiwa Millionaire 6HM and a Daiwa Sealine SL250H
The 6HM and XLT2 are in unused condition complete with accessories and will be going on display.

pjstevko

Well it's winter and no one is fishing so you guys must be buying!!!!

What'd everyone buy lately?

Me? Well, I bought a ring kit from Bryan and other equipment to learn to solder jump rings.

sabaman1

I recently purchased a Penn 704 greenie spinfisher in pieces from Kobeys swap meet in San diego and have it in a good working condition now after buying a few parts from Mystic reel parts. I really like the smoothness and action of the reel. Would like to find some more of these gems.
JIM

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Picked up about $2K of DAM Quick parts from a long closed shop inventory.  So sorting and adding about 15,000 NOS parts (81 pounds) to the 400K DQ parts already organized by numbers.  This is the 10th purchase of DQ parts I have been able to make over the last 25 years from closed shops & factory authorized service centers. 

Don't believe there is much more left out there — except a few sellers selling a few parts for exorbitant and ridiculous prices to unknowing folks.

This was thanks to a good member, Steve.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pjstevko

Quote from: sabaman1 on February 07, 2024, 05:42:42 PMI recently purchased a Penn 704 greenie spinfisher in pieces from Kobeys swap meet in San diego and have it in a good working condition now after buying a few parts from Mystic reel parts. I really like the smoothness and action of the reel. Would like to find some more of these gems.

If you want more greenies talk to Fred!

MarkT

A Fathom 40nld2, a Phenix Megalodon 608 and a Major Craft GK5SJ-B66/4 for SPJ.
The 40n will go on the 608 and a Fathom 15xnld2 on the MC rod.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

I bought a few Newells, notably a V521-5.5. Don't see those everyday
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crab Pot

I just bought eccentric springs for my 980.

Don't know why I bought 4 but they transfer over to other reels so why not.

Cost more to ship them than it did to buy'um though...  ::)
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Gfish

A '74 M.G. 300C.
Wanted to see what was the deal with roller bearings. First I shimmed it and got it quieter/smoother.

Looks like they reamed out the main gear shaft bushing and the rotor bushing to get them log shaped bearings down in there. The metal bearings look solid, but the cage is probably nylon or something.

Shouldn't be a thing though, as the bearings only need to be down in there and separated from one-another, while the i.d. and o.d. surfaces hold them in place.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rocket Dog

Found a Seeker EX D8 over the weekend.

MarkT

Quote from: Swami805 on February 07, 2024, 09:05:48 PMI bought a few Newells, notably a V521-5.5. Don't see those everyday
No, you don't!

reel man
1302 posts · Joined 1999

#2 · Feb 26, 2012
It is 2" wide between the inside cage rings, came with a 5 stack drag system, aluminum spool, and handle. About 25 - 35 were actually built, but as far as I know only 25 were actually sold. It was going to be built in either 4.6, or 5.5 gear ratios, but alas someone got bored and it never got off the ground.

The one on ebay was a "put together" reel out of parts removed from Valley Manufacturing.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!