Yard drainage

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 29, 2022, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

We have the French drain on the up hill and weather side of the house.  Basement is dry as a bone.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gobi King

French drain but  use a perforated pipe with a sock on top and a good base of stone to drain into it and lead it away from the back to all the way to the storm sewer if code allows.

I neighbor ran PVC pipe to run it to the downward incline, so he did a catch basin at the east end of the property which was running into his basement, from that catch basin he used solid pvc pipe to run it 40 feet to the side of the incline and put a pop up spout.

I am in the process of removing my perforated sunk drain pipe and replacing it with solid drain pipe as when it rains a LOT, I get water come out of the lower end of the drain pipe and saturate the soil and cause some leaks into the garage.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Keta

My property is flat, old lake/marsh bottom.  Fortunatly there is a 10' deep drainage ditch on the east side and the irrigation ditch (18"-24" deep)  on the north and west side of our property that snow melt can flow into.  The county cleaned the ditch on the other side of our road a few years ago due to flooding where the pavement ends.  Snow melt created a 1 foot deep "lake" that froze making the road unsafe to drive on for a week.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

I may be talking crazy here but is there any reason not to consider digging a hole, setting up some sort of screen to keep chunks out, and running a sump pump? I figure run a DC pump and a battery so even if we lose power it can still run. Then just run like a 2" pipe or something to the street.

Just musing here, I just sometimes wonder why the seemingly obvious solution isn't the common solution. In cases like that i assume I'm missing something.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

If your new drainage project works, and you want to pump water out, why not pump into the new drainage?  Pumping into the street might irk the neighbors...if you don't have storm sewer at the curb. 

A guy down the street pumps his pool into the street every year when all he needs to do is open a sewer cleanout and put the hose in it.  Water stands in the street for a week and the 80-90-year-old neighbors fuss and cuss about the mess. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

Valid concern. But back to back lots in generally flat suburban areas (like most of Florida) generally drain to the street.  In fact thats totally what mine was supposed to do, but the previous owner got creative so like many other things in this house I that I love, I've been fixing his mess.

My nearest drainage inlet is 3 houses downhill. Whether gravity or pumped I wouldn't pipe directly to the street rather I'd have a bubbler of sorts before the sidewalk so it's on my own property. Thus i can avoid dealing with any county RoW or HOA concerns. It would flow to the road, but again it's supposed to.

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to comment.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 30, 2022, 02:08:22 PMI may be talking crazy here but is there any reason not to consider digging a hole, setting up some sort of screen to keep chunks out, and running a sump pump? I figure run a DC pump and a battery so even if we lose power it can still run. Then just run like a 2" pipe or something to the street.

Just musing here, I just sometimes wonder why the seemingly obvious solution isn't the common solution. In cases like that i assume I'm missing something.

It's done a lot around here, especially in the river bottom flat land areas. Just make sure city codes allow it and there is some sort of storm water drainage system for the water to disapte to.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Keta

Have they said how much rain your town got?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Keta on September 30, 2022, 05:07:44 PMHave they said how much rain your town got?
Not yet. Interestingly it doesnt seem like it was a major rain event for my area. At least not like we expected. If I find out I'll let you know.

Wompus Cat

No matter how you do it the water is like Electricity in that it takes the path of least resistance . If you have a Giant Sponge it would go there but as a General Rule it nearly Always goes Down Hill.You can rent a small Bobcat with a bucket on it and change the grade on your yard fairly inexpensively A french drain can run into big money especially if you have underground pipes in the area you show between the houses like the Water Supply cutt off I see in your pic.There CAN BE all kinds of housing regulations and codes ,laws,permits HMO Specs and nosy neighbors .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Keta

Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 30, 2022, 06:51:23 PM....There CAN BE all kinds of housing regulations and codes ,laws,permits HMO Specs and nosy neighbors...

Fortunatly I live in a place where none of these ever happen.

Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

I've  never been a huge fan of French Drain Systems unless they daylight somewhere. Most people don't install them correctly. They should have an accurate and consistent 1/4" per foot slope. Most are installed haphazardly with the thought that as long as the general slope is down hill all is fine. There is a way, when they can't be daylighted, to run the tile to a huge leachfield but most properties aren't large enough to put in a leach field where it won't have an effect on footings, foundations, etc.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shellbelly

Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 30, 2022, 08:00:37 PMMost people don't install them correctly.
This is true.  One consideration that's overlooked is how much water is expected to be moved.  The same goes for gutter downspouts.  Not many folks realize how much water, besides a bunch, is shed from 2k sq ft of roof.  Many contractors don't explain this either....and many developers under-calculate this or don't at all, when putting in 200 homes 20' apart on 1/8 acre lots....on the sides of hills...with fantastic views....of other roofs. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

$275 later, and my weekend is screwed.

Cor

Good luck, looks like a big job! :d
Cornelis