sorry to bring back but has anyone found a real substitute for the abu c-clip??

Started by pointbob, October 07, 2022, 08:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 14, 2022, 03:25:19 AMSo hypothetically what happens if you use a c clip of the wrong size? For example too small an outer diameter?

Asking for a friend
It depends on what the clip is being used for.  It can be a light load to prevent something from sliding down the shaft, or it can be load bearing.  An accurate fit is most important for load bearing. An undersized OD clip may be an issue if it does not clear the shaft enough to hold a part in in proper alignment to the shaft or to distribute the load properly.

But in general, these type of clips (e-clips, not all c clips) are not designed to have a very precise fit.  The thing to worry the most about is getting an accurate fit in the slot in the shaft, so that the clip stays where it supposed to be.

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Thank you Dave. I guess to be more specific last night I lost the C clip that sits above the handle. I grabbed one from a smaller abu reel and the inner dia works but outer dia is smaller. The handle used to barely catch on it now it slips right past. I dont imagine that 0.1mm of lip was holding the handle on compared to the work of the nut (handle nut not the one writing this) but I've been wrong before.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

mhc

On an abu the C clip stops the gear sleeve sliding off the post.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: mhc on October 14, 2022, 04:48:57 PMOn an abu the C clip stops the gear sleeve sliding off the post.

Mike
Ok cool it's definitely big enough for that. I'll get a new one asap but was wondering if that shelved the reel ahead of this weekend's long awaited fishing trip
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

pointbob

Patience comes to those who wait