Leather - how to soften it?

Started by Gobi King, October 14, 2022, 06:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 15, 2022, 02:59:52 AMYou could always beat the heck out of it. Old fashioned conditioning.

A few hours in a cloths drier w/no heat will do this.

I have used Mink Oil in the past.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

PacRat

I learned a few things on the milsurp and CMP sites.

1) Either your stock will stain the pad, your pad will stain the stock, or they will both stain each other. Just think of it as the correct patina. I think you said your stock is new so it's likely not as oil soaked as the milsurp stocks. I've got a few from the CMP that still seep oil on a hot day.

2) Your padding material is likely removable. That should be a pocket with some thick felt pad stuffed in it (should you ever need to remove it). The area near the eyelets that isn't stitched should be the opening.

3) The two extra eyelets are there for screws. These are brass screws that go into your stock near the bottom on the left side. This probably helps with the stiffness when attaching and lacing, and it prevents the pad from slipping during recoil. I know I would have a hard time drilling it if it wasn't already drilled.

The old 1944 tech manual has the official instructions on how to do this.

Or check this out: http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-206805.html
The above link has links to two different tech manuals which differ slightly but with the same result.

Gobi King

I looked up the MSDS for the leather conditioners and the ones I peeked at had one or more of the items mentioned above like oils.

Looking the cheek pad, I will give it a shot with just water for now and soften the middle part of it that is needs to bend the most.

That should do it.
I appreciate all the input and education!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan