J. A. Coxe 950

Started by Shellbelly, January 08, 2023, 12:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

Here is a 500 yd J. A. Coxe model 950.  Cosmetically, the reel and box are in fair condition and the reel operates with a hint of a bent arbor which I was able to confirm.  Let's see what's inside.

Internal parts were lightly lubed and very little hard residue was present.  Pretty clean overall inside.  Notice the yoke is pinned to the bridge.  No sense in removing it but you have to raise the yoke assembly against the springs to get the pinion out.  The dog spring is kind of interesting in the way it wraps around the dog.  Definitely don't want to lose that, but at least it won't fly off the bridge. 

The main gear is pretty small with a 3-stack drag.  Look at the (rather small) sleeve and see the little spring-loaded pin?  That pin seals the oil port in the handle nut.  Pretty nifty.  Don't lose it.

The last unique thing about this reel is there are 7 posts, two of which share the load with the reel stand.  The reel doesn't seem to need this, but there they are.  The post screws are unusually long.

Reassembly was very easy since the tranny stays together and drops right in....no Penn-fenageling is required.

It's true to the label as a 2:1 light-duty trolling reel with a large spool capacity and seemingly light drag.

Kinda neat to see how it's built.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

Yes I am a fan of the coxe reels also , I like the added bars in the reel seat and the oil port ball spring configuration .    I have a couple 625 s and 950 s that i use from time to time  .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

I'm pretty impressed with the design and fitting of the bridge assembly.  Very minimal tolerance between the gear and sleeve...you can't "rock" the gear off.  The arbor and pinion are machined very close as well.  That may explain why there was hardly any grease in the reel and only near the main gear.  Everything else was oiled.

Very efficient reel design for ease of maintenance.  The 2:1 ratio certainly could make for a long discussion with a fish. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

foakes

Thanks for showing us!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.