Help removing a screw

Started by Gpag, September 12, 2022, 03:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

My two bobs worth, I really like Acetone & auto trans fluid, generally 50/50, but if you worried about acetone damaging the plactic, then go 75 AT &25 acetone, I often find if you remove it all from the reel, then try to move it two & fourth, the screw often comes loose in the thread, past the line roller, then it will unscrew, good luck, please let us know how you get on, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gpag

It is a Kastking Sharky 3 Baitfeeder reel.  I know......it's made in China and all the negative connotations.  I really like the reel.  I've had it for three years, have never done anything to it (hence the frozen screw) and it works as smooth and reliably as when it was new.  The bail worked fine too. I took it apart when finally doing some maintenance.  I know how to get it back together, it's just a pain with the bail wire attached to the arm.

The arm sat since yesterday submerged in PB Blaster; no change on getting the screw out.  I suspect that is because the PBB couldn't reach where it needs to free things up. I don't think the line roller is meant to turn. Since reel is still usable in that I can assemble it without the little lever that tensions the spring, I'll just leave out that lever and take care of it when the snow flies. I'll still futz with putting it back together but I can manually open and close the bail, it just won't spring back to the closed position.  I usually close it manually anyway but I like the spring action so I know I closed it all the way.
Thanks for all the great suggestions. 

Midway Tommy

I was under the impression that nearly all the line guides rolled nowadays, even on the lesser expensive Asian reels.  ???
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 14, 2022, 01:32:58 AMI was under the impression that nearly all the line guides rolled nowadays, even on the lesser expensive Asian reels.  ???

I didn't even know ANY of them Turned till I read some your Tutorials a few years ago on another site  .......  :d

And it don't matter if you got the reel in a box of cracker Jacks ...lol
If you Like it we will do all we can to hep ya make it work .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

reelrepair123

`did you try holding onto the bail and try to un-screw the bail arm?   harryk

oldmanjoe

Quote from: reelrepair123 on September 14, 2022, 07:01:44 PM`did you try holding onto the bail and try to un-screw the bail arm?   harryk
I was waiting for some one to suggest this .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

ez2cdave

Well, what happened ?

Tight Lines !