Penn 14/0 live again!

Started by broadway, March 04, 2012, 01:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

A quick heads up for you Senator junkies or and based shark men... the Penn 14/0 has been brought back from the depths, and as I was told is not China made (either is the 12/0).
Capt. Harry's (I have no affiliation with them) has 'em... they ain't cheap, but they are back! $500!

Also, has anyone ever seen this handle on a Senator before?  The football shaped grip looks right, however I haven't ever seen that counter balance look like that... have you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-BIG-GAME-FISHING-REEL-SENATOR-9-0-/390395515443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae562d233#ht_500wt_1415

Thanks
Dom

alantani

guys, is it just me or does this look more like a 3/0 senator?

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on March 04, 2012, 01:36:06 AM
guys, is it just me or does this look more like a 3/0 senator?

Alan:  I see what you mean.  It is difficult to tell because there is no perspective.  However, If you use the wing nuts for perspective, the reel does look small.  
Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Caranx

From looking at the reel stand and the handle size comparison, it looks like a 9/0 to me.
The right side plate also looks thick between the rings and also, a 3/0 doesn't have harness rings.
I say 115.

George4741

Yes, the unusual handle appears to throw everything else out of scale.  However, the eccentric lever has the traditional 23-60 nut on it.  I say 9/0.
viurem lliures o morirem

Rare

Plenty of the shark guys have been asking for them. Capt. Harry's not far from me & I know they are a sponsor for a shark club in Florida. Not sure if they had any small influence on the comeback or not.
A member on another board posted this

Quote from: chris21saw this in a Capt Harry's fishing supply catalog and couldn't believe my eyes!! might get another one myself.

Makule

Manipulation with Photoshop shows what looks like 9/0 on the emblem.

That handle appears to be homemade/aftermarket.  Extremely long.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

broadway

Alan,  I agree it looks on the small side, Caranx is right it has harness rings so out goes the 3/0, but it could be a 4/0... it would also be easy to turn a 4 in to a 9, as Makule said.  Doubtful, because it's probably not worth the time for a poor condition reel.  It does look smaller than a 9/0, but as Dominick said there is nothing to scale it with other than the parts themselves.   Rare, That's the catalog I saw it in.  I called on it, and they said they're USA made  8)
Dom

john2244

I don't see the rings on the front side of the reel for the rod brace.  I have only seen a few 9/0 reels and they all had the lugs for a brace.  Maybe some 9/0's did not, I don't know for sure.

Makule

Quote from: john2244 on March 04, 2012, 07:13:54 AM
I don't see the rings on the front side of the reel for the rod brace.  I have only seen a few 9/0 reels and they all had the lugs for a brace.  Maybe some 9/0's did not, I don't know for sure.

None of the newer 9/0 reel have the rod lugs in the front, only the harness lugs on the top.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.