New record Not a snook

Started by JasonGotaProblem, November 09, 2022, 10:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Smallest.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

nelz

You sure that's a snook? Kinda looks like a whiting.

JasonGotaProblem

The black line doesnt show up in the pic, but that's usually my "it's a snook" test. Im certainly no master fish identifier though.

nelz

I was looking more at the head/jawline. No fish ID expert here either, but I do pursue the snookies often.  :D

philaroman

which species of croaker are around your area?

pjstevko

That's not a snook but probably a whiting like mentioned above...

The lack of black lateral line and protruding lower jaw are big clues...

Whiting are good eating if you catch anymore

JasonGotaProblem

I'm calling my own analysis into question over the shape of the tail. Snook are more visibly forked. I guess the prior record (like 6") still stands.

Not sure it's a croaker though. But dang I put this up so y'all could have a laugh at my expense, but it ended up being for a different reason than I expected.

whalebreath

nelz

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 10, 2022, 04:57:59 AMI'm calling my own analysis into question over the shape of the tail. Snook are more visibly forked...

.... But dang I put this up so y'all could have a laugh at my expense, but it ended up being for a different reason than I expected.

Sorry bro, didn't mean to put you down in any way, but you know we're a bunch of nit-pickers here, lol.  ;D

Actually, the tail was the first thing that caught my attention also, then the head/jaw shape.

Keep on trying, you'll catch that mini-record yet!

JasonGotaProblem

No offense taken. I put it out there to get a laugh, I just got it wrong.

It doesn't show well in the pic but the line was a lot darker than the rest of his body. I think at the time I figured it was because he was young. But then I remembered seeing lil 2" baby snook at the Mote Marine Aquarium (definitely worth the visit if you've never been) and they had dark black lines.

Can i blame sleep deprivation?

philaroman

well, stop wasting your time w/ cork refuse & TAKE A NAP!!!

oc1

philaroman

hey...  I was close w/ "some kind of croaker"
mouth wrong for Atlantic Croaker & not supposed to be in FL