long casting

Started by Donnyboat, November 11, 2022, 02:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Real emphasis on "limp" for me Dave. Mono coils really get me sometimes. Really doesn't seem to me that my line is that old, either. Could a thorough FW rinse be affecting it?

Still looking for a good Alvey reel—-oriented rod, Don. Suggestions? So, they did go out of business, shame...

I got the "Artfully Tattooed Lady" email, Don, COOOOOL, she's perfect. I will NOT be trashing that one! She stays there right along with my son n' daughter's wedding pictures, as well as grandkid pictures for quick n' easy reference...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 12, 2022, 07:17:41 PMI love casting for distance. However it has little place for the actual fishing I do... Jeff

I lean this way as well.  My conditions are the bar and gut bottom surf.  The 2nd gut may be as close as 75 yards or as far as 150.  If you want to go 3rd-bar, you get wet or yak it.  All that distance can be moot if you can read the surf and work the holes.

On the other hand, when you see fish working at 150+ yards, you need the ability to get there..with the right fish-catching stuff on the far end.  That IMO is the 1st variable factor of long casting in actual conditions. 

Casting as far as you can with accuracy is a great skill to have and the equipment always has to be ready for this, but it isn't the primary objective in most of my surf fishing adventures.  I'm targeting the lurkers and prowlers of structure. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

jurelometer

Quote from: Gfish on November 13, 2022, 07:10:44 PMReal emphasis on "limp" for me Dave. Mono coils really get me sometimes. Really doesn't seem to me that my line is that old, either. Could a thorough FW rinse be affecting
Water is a plasticizer for nylon.  Getting it wet will make it limper, but only temporarily.  Hence the old timer practice of getting the spool wet before fishing. Nylon absorbs/releases water based on environmental humidity, but the water is not like a solvent or something.

UV damage is what kills mono, but can't remember if it  makes it stiffer/more memory.  Seems possible, as UV susceptible plastics usually lose elasticity with UV degradation.

There is also creep/memory.  Nylon packed on a spool tightly can creep and take a set, which will give you some tight coils.

If you are looking for extra limp mono, Suffix used to make a ridiculously limp product.  It was limp enough to use for shooting lines for fly fishing. You could strip off 70 ft of the stuff and most of it would shoot right through the guides without tangling :)

If I see a spool of it lying around, I'll post the name.

-J 

Donnyboat

Thanks J, very interesting,  from what I understand about nylon, or mono line, it is okay to wind it on tight, when the conditions are cold, as it will stretch as is warms up, now reverse the conditions, wind it on when its warm, it will srink as it gets cold, then it will crush your spool, I could be wrong, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cor

I have used this stuff for many many years and still very happy with it.
Don't know if its the limpest they manufacture.
Cornelis

Shellbelly

Quote from: jurelometer on November 13, 2022, 11:59:08 PMHence the old timer practice of getting the spool wet before fishing
I was taught to do this.  The primary reason given to me back then was to prevent thumb smoke....a good motivator for a youngster.

About UV.  I agree it degrades many products.  If you rinse and cover your reels it's minimized.  Given that most reels get hours of exposure (vs months) and don't live outside, it seems that it doesn't take much exposure to degrade mono.  Also, what is the shelf life of new mono?  I haven't looked at a new spool for an expiration date.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Cor

Quote from: Shellbelly on November 14, 2022, 06:35:43 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on November 13, 2022, 11:59:08 PMHence the old timer practice of getting the spool wet before fishing
I was taught to do this.  The primary reason given to me back then was to prevent thumb smoke....a good motivator for a youngster.

About UV.  I agree it degrades many products.  If you rinse and cover your reels it's minimized.  Given that most reels get hours of exposure (vs months) and don't live outside, it seems that it doesn't take much exposure to degrade mono.  Also, what is the shelf life of new mono?  I haven't looked at a new spool for an expiration date.

That it burns fingers is very much so and wetting the line reduces that.

I am still using some mono i purchased 15 years ago and have not noticed any degrading.   I do store it in a dark cupboard.
Cornelis

jurelometer

Quote from: Cor on November 14, 2022, 12:48:48 PMI have used this stuff for many many years and still very happy with it.

Suffix Elite.  I think it is supposed to be limper than the XL.  Looks like they still make the stuff.  Never fished it on a conventional or spinner, but might be worth a try.

https://www.rapala.com/sufix/monofilament/elite/elite/Elite.html

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 14, 2022, 12:47:15 PMThanks J, very interesting,  from what I understand about nylon, or mono line, it is okay to wind it on tight, when the conditions are cold, as it will stretch as is warms up, now reverse the conditions, wind it on when its warm, it will srink as it gets cold, then it will crush your spool, I could be wrong, cheers Don.

I have only experienced spools blowing out on the sides from the line expanding.  Shrinking will pull the line away from the walls, andthe arbor is pretty difficult to crush on a typical conventional.

The problem that I have seen is from the line being wound tightly on a plastic or thin wall stamped metal spool.  The line is elastic, which means that it was stretched, making it thinner, and storing energy in the line like a spring. It will  try to contract back to the original length,  and therefore increase in diameter which  causes the force on the sides of the spool.

Heat makes nylon expand, and cold makes it contract, so the diameter would actually increase  as the reel warmed up.  On the other hand, cold probably temporarily decreases the elasticity, so the line would not stretch as much for the same amount of tension when loading cold.  I would be kind of surprised if normal range of temperature would have a significant effect compared to the line tension, but I have been wrong plenty of times :)

-J

jurelometer

Quote from: Shellbelly on November 14, 2022, 06:35:43 PM

Oops.  Forgot all about that.  Must be repressed memories :)  You are right!  Preventing thumb burn is the major reason for anybody that does not thumb on the spool wall, which is most of us.  Improving casting is a secondary benefit.
QuoteAbout UV.  I agree it degrades many products.  If you rinse and cover your reels it's minimized.  Given that most reels get hours of exposure (vs months) and don't live outside, it seems that it doesn't take much exposure to degrade mono.  Also, what is the shelf life of new mono?  I haven't looked at a new spool for an expiration date.

Discussed here:
https://alantani.com/index.php?msg=423655

nelz

Speaking of tournament casters, here's one I had never seen before. Wacky looking thing! One just sold for $900 on ebay.

Donnyboat

Sorry nelz, cant tell you much about that mitchell, we may have to lean of Freds knowledge, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

nelz

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 15, 2022, 01:57:09 PMSorry nelz, cant tell you much about that mitchell, we may have to lean of Freds knowledge, cheers Don.

Thanks, not looking for any info, just sharing an interesting find.

jurelometer

Quote from: nelz on November 15, 2022, 02:31:39 PM
Quote from: Donnyboat on November 15, 2022, 01:57:09 PMSorry nelz, cant tell you much about that mitchell, we may have to lean of Freds knowledge, cheers Don.

Thanks, not looking for any info, just sharing an interesting find.

Definitely interesting.   Had to look this up.

https://www.mitchell-collectors-international.org/articles_mitchell_tournament_1.html

https://www.mitchell-collectors-international.org/articles_mitchell_tournament_2.html

-J

nelz

Wow, they have a three-tier one!  :o

Gfish

Quote from: jurelometer on November 14, 2022, 07:09:46 PM
Quote from: Cor on November 14, 2022, 12:48:48 PMI have used this stuff for many many years and still very happy with it.

Suffix Elite.  I think it is supposed to be limper than the XL.  Looks like they still make the stuff.  Never fished it on a conventional or spinner, but might be worth a try.

https://www.rapala.com/sufix/monofilament/elite/elite/Elite.html

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 14, 2022, 12:47:15 PMThanks J, very interesting,  from what I understand about nylon, or mono line, it is okay to wind it on tight, when the conditions are cold, as it will stretch as is warms up, now reverse the conditions, wind it on when its warm, it will srink as it gets cold, then it will crush your spool, I could be wrong, cheers Don.

I have only experienced spools blowing out on the sides from the line expanding.  Shrinking will pull the line away from the walls, andthe arbor is pretty difficult to crush on a typical conventional.

The problem that I have seen is from the line being wound tightly on a plastic or thin wall stamped metal spool.  The line is elastic, which means that it was stretched, making it thinner, and storing energy in the line like a spring. It will  try to contract, and therefore increase in diameter which  causes the force on the sides of the spool.

Heat makes nylon expand, and cold makes it contract, so the diameter would actually increase  as the reel warmed up.  On the other hand, cold probably temporarily decreases the elasticity, so the line would not stretch as much for the same amount of tension when loading cold.  I would be kind of surprised if normal range of temperature would have a significant effect compared to the line tension, but I have been wrong plenty of times :)

-J

Here's a picture of an unidentified spool that came to me on a used 309. Mystic stated that the 309 did come with a "chromed Bronze" spool as well as others. Maybe this is one of those.  Wonder how it happened. The flanges were fine. It had too much of a frame to flange gap, making me think it might be from a different reel. All the others I've seen on 309's had 29-309 stamped on 'em. Look closely(or enlarge the photo), there's crack all the way across the arbor and on those little flange to arbor parts;
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!