Colored Mono Fishing Line

Started by El Pescador, November 30, 2022, 03:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Don asked me to post these photos for him.

and please take it from here!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Thanks again Wayne, the multi coloured line on this sea martin reel, when new & not faded, was very affective, on the sea martin reels , the way they cross weeve the line onto the spool, can anyone tell me were I can buy more of this line, 8kg or almost 20 Lbs, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Donny - I am a little confused (what else is new) but:
The title says mono but the photo looks like a braid?  I know that colored braid is not uncommon.
For mono, again the brand that you have is not something I am familiar with but what I am familiar with in the mono sector are lines that are used by bass fisherman here at night with black light from the boat.  I thought I had a spool of bright yellow around but when I went and looked it appears I used it/gave it away.  Stuff would really "pop" at night when you had a blacklight setup on the side of the boat,  and would allow you to see those "finesse" bites to crank up and set the hook. - john

Midway Tommy

There are multiple companies that sell camo monofilament. Crappie Maxx, Trik Fish, High-Seas, to name few. Just search multi colored monofilament fishing line.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Cor

Quote from: Brewcrafter on December 01, 2022, 01:41:16 AMDonny - I am a little confused (what else is new) but:
The title says mono but the photo looks like a braid?  I know that colored braid is not uncommon.
For mono, again the brand that you have is not something I am familiar with but what I am familiar with in the mono sector are lines that are used by bass fisherman here at night with black light from the boat.  I thought I had a spool of bright yellow around but when I went and looked it appears I used it/gave it away.  Stuff would really "pop" at night when you had a blacklight setup on the side of the boat,  and would allow you to see those "finesse" bites to crank up and set the hook. - john
Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 01, 2022, 02:52:37 AMThere are multiple companies that sell camo monofilament. Crappie Maxx, Trik Fish, High-Seas, to name few. Just search multi colored monofilament fishing line.
John I nearly stepped in to it and wanted to agree with you, I can not think that I have ever seen multicoloured mono :D  :D
Then I clicked on Tommy's link ;D  ;D
Cornelis

Bryan Young

Oh, there was a German company that used to make mono like that...it's buried in my memory.  I can se the label in my mind but I cannot read it.

I think the only company that still makes this kind of line is High Seas, Quattro Monofilament.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jurelometer

I bought some multicolor mono leader (Hi-Seas Quatro) a couple years back.  The theory is that it works like camouflage, breaking up the profile, so the fish doesn't recognize it as fishing line.  That of course presumes that fish have enough deductive reasoning to recognize and avoid fishing line ::)

I wanted to see if leader tint mattered.  As as I kept cutting my leader down while fishing, I had different colors next to my fly.  The fish didn't seem to care, but some guides did have an allergy to camo leaders.  It made them cranky :)

I will use what I have, but I am not itching to buy more.

BTW- Don's line does not look like Quatro.

-J

Donnyboat

Thanks Tommy, it defiantly mono thanks John, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Breadfan

Quote from: jurelometer on December 01, 2022, 05:08:54 AMI bought some multicolor mono leader (Hi-Seas Quatro) a couple years back.  The theory is that it works like camouflage, breaking up the profile, so the fish doesn't recognize it as fishing line.  That of course presumes that fish have enough deductive reasoning to recognize and avoid fishing line ::)

My take on it is fish don't have that kind of deductive reasoning, or at least they don't have the capability to see and think "hey that's fishing line, and I will avoid that". I think they just see something that is not natural and therefore deduct that they shouldn't eat that. Hence, presentation. Present them something that is natural by concealing the mono or braid and they won't hesitate to take the "bait". Well, if they are hungry, that is!

thorhammer

I used quattro kingfishing, found it very durable. I used 20 of fluor to rig so whether the camo was useful I can't say. The red's gonna dissappear at thirty feet and the greenish color around 60 so it'll all be just a darker shadow at that point anyway. If I'm fishing shallow enough so that matters, it'll be fluoro leader anyway or at least green line if dark green water.

Shellbelly

I have a 249 that has red/pink/purple lead core on it.  Was that meant to disguise the line like these monofilament lines?
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Shellbelly on December 01, 2022, 05:36:20 PMI have a 249 that has red/pink/purple lead core on it.  Was that meant to disguise the line like these monofilament lines?

No. Each color is 10 yds so you can tell how much line is out and how deep your hook/lure is. Most have a chart that estimates the depth depending on your mph trolling speed and yds of line that's been released.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

it's not "camo" (hide the line) -- that would be color change every foot
it's "metered" (measure line out) -- color change every 10yd / 10m
olive sections kinda' look like Tectan (discontinued, German?)...  don't know if they ever made metered

Shellbelly

Thank you, Gentlemen!  So when did multi-color mono first show up?  I remember seeing it being used...from a distance under night fishing lights, the colors stand out above the water when retrieved.

Interesting topic!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

jurelometer

Quote from: Breadfan on December 01, 2022, 01:36:13 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on December 01, 2022, 05:08:54 AMI bought some multicolor mono leader (Hi-Seas Quatro) a couple years back.  The theory is that it works like camouflage, breaking up the profile, so the fish doesn't recognize it as fishing line.  That of course presumes that fish have enough deductive reasoning to recognize and avoid fishing line ::)

My take on it is fish don't have that kind of deductive reasoning, or at least they don't have the capability to see and think "hey that's fishing line, and I will avoid that". I think they just see something that is not natural and therefore deduct that they shouldn't eat that. Hence, presentation. Present them something that is natural by concealing the mono or braid and they won't hesitate to take the "bait". Well, if they are hungry, that is!

I mostly agree, but would want to refine that a bit.  I think you are still giving the fish a bit more deductive capacity than they deserve.

I think that this kind of avoidance in terms of vaguely suspecting a trap is less likely than the line messing with the signal that triggers a feeding response in a predatory fish.

The difference being that it takes a much simpler, energy efficient  system (brain) to decide when to stick something in the mouth based on a high probability of it being food based on very simple observations ( profile, motion, smell), than it does to evaluate the pros and cons(e.g., tasty looking  baitfish, but what is that long skinny thing coming out of its mouth?)  Fish have fairly small and primitive brains.

For example, a salmon egg drifting down a stream  has the profile, smell and motion to strongly fire off multiple feeding triggers in a trout. High probability of being food.  But hook that egg on a dropper loop on a 20 lb leader, and anchored to the bottom, and now from a sensory perspective, a much lower probability of being food.  The trigger signals are much weaker. Maybe some investigation, but not rushing in to eat.

Switch to a 4lb limp leader, and the egg starts to move around more "naturally" and the chances of getting a bite go up.  Lose the sinker and drift that leadered egg past the trout, and the trigger signals gets even stronger.

It is natural to see this from a human perspective and assume that the fish decided not to bite because it saw  a leader, but it just doesn't seem as likely to me.

The fish are not talking, so we will never know for sure :)