Another 306 project

Started by GHETTOWRAPPED, December 01, 2022, 07:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GHETTOWRAPPED

From 302/402 spare parts
3E506A79-A656-4779-ACD3-6C38DF31BF45.jpeg

Pinion to be modified
F7DC3144-A307-476E-8511-2A1DC568D965.jpeg
9B97CB0F-283E-4CDB-9C02-747452FC81E6.jpeg 176DF482-2456-4915-9F91-AFE27B6C56AE.jpeg 
Now for the housing
B4BA6B9F-5A18-4252-816C-F974ED14CF0A.jpeg
46FFF2F5-666F-4643-A707-0FB574E8B13E.jpeg
Tada
555FF839-8264-4A77-8F63-D62D1A4E7DC3.jpeg   

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

I saw this on another forum. Great job!!

Does that PUM work? It looks awfully tall.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

GHETTOWRAPPED

Thanks, maybe parallax, it's a genuine Mitchell MPU

oldmanjoe

:d   What did you have in the chuck to drive the pinion gear ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quite an interesting mod! Well done! Seems like an awful lot of work for the end result, though.  :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

GHETTOWRAPPED

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 02, 2022, 12:50:09 AM:d   What did you have in the chuck to drive the pinion gear ?
Matched the taper in the aluminum jaws.  Knew it wouldn't take a good hogging, so I only took off a little at a time.

GHETTOWRAPPED

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 02, 2022, 03:24:52 AMQuite an interesting mod! Well done! Seems like an awful lot of work for the end result, though.  :o

So the reason for the mod is the excessive play in the 306/406 rotor cup (main gear-pinion) with the bushing setup, which I feel contributes greatly to the premature wear in the gears.  If you own one, you know what I mean.  Take the side plate off, grab the rotor cup and notice the play between the main gear and pinion gear. Now, take the shaft out of the reel and notice how incredibly wobbly the rotor cup is.  This mod nearly eliminated all the slop by using a 2 bearing stack, not a bushing with designed clearance, to provide the pinion gear's support. It was scary though, to "ruin" a scarce part in an attempt to increase its durability. 

thorhammer

handi2

How about replacing the bushing with a one way bearing?

I have a Penn 706 that has just that. One where the original bearing went and another where the spool shaft goes the the original brass bush.
Gulf Breeze, FL

oldmanjoe

Quote from: handi2 on December 02, 2022, 06:50:55 PMHow about replacing the bushing with a one way bearing?

I have a Penn 706 that has just that. One where the original bearing went and another where the spool shaft goes the the original brass bush.
Will the material be hard enough to handle the stress a one way bearing generates  ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

Rick Champagne did the anti reverse clutch bearings in a 706 I had painted for my grandson. It has worked flawlessly for over 6 years now.

My grandson is bringing it over so I can go over it and take pictures.

Here he is with a nice Mai. He is 6'4" just like me!
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Cool!
A big improvement!
 I wore out the bushing in mine. Had it since I's 14yr. Old.
Mitchell kept it pretty spinning reel traditional with this one. Except maybe for the key/pin and the plan-o-matic like oscillating gear.
The 302 could be a heavy bulked-up cousin of the 306. One thing I really liked about the 302 was the screw-on spool shaft spindle, though. A heavy, kinda clunky reel—-right-up my ally!
 MG kept it interesting, always using different designs in their line-up.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

The only flaw in the 306/406 is the drag.

The 302/402 has a much better drag system that can be upgraded with 5 Penn 6-155 carbon fiber drag washers for a smooth modern drag.

Many pier fishermen still use them today and I still modify them.
Gulf Breeze, FL

GHETTOWRAPPED

[/quote]
  Will the material be hard enough to handle the stress a one way bearing generates  ?
[/quote]

No, chrome plated brass?...pretty soft and would get chewed up by the one way