Is it heat or cold that you use to re-insert a rod guide insert??

Started by pointbob, December 11, 2022, 01:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Gorgeous rod! Is the green thread metallic? It is possible it is Gudebrod green metallic, but that and the silver is pretty closely matched with current metallics. Those are simple wraps. You won't be able to heat up and slide out, but if I was asked what's the easiest guide for me to wrap, it's that exact one. Big enough to handle easily and double-footed so you can tape one side with worrying about gluing before wrap like a teeny single foot.

you can take a couple small cardboard boxes, cut V notches in them, and they will work fine to cradle rod to wrap a guide and hold while you hand turn to let 5 minute epoxy set (actually about 20 minutes). and they're free....

put the spool in a little dish to keep it from rolling and wrap with hand tension. It's actually faster than wrapping on my rod carriage.

pointbob

Quote from: thorhammer on December 13, 2022, 08:29:33 PMGorgeous rod! Is the green thread metallic? It is possible it is Gudebrod green metallic, but that and the silver is pretty closely matched with current metallics. Those are simple wraps. You won't be able to heat up and slide out, but if I was asked what's the easiest guide for me to wrap, it's that exact one. Big enough to handle easily and double-footed so you can tape one side with worrying about gluing before wrap like a teeny single foot.

you can take a couple small cardboard boxes, cut V notches in them, and they will work fine to cradle rod to wrap a guide and hold while you hand turn to let 5 minute epoxy set (actually about 20 minutes). and they're free....

put the spool in a little dish to keep it from rolling and wrap with hand tension. It's actually faster than wrapping on my rod carriage.

Thanks Thor. I;ve had it about 20 years. It's a rainshadow 12 ft blank (baitcast) that i use on the rivers for salmon. I've pulled in large fish I had to business being able to control...but the rod is great.

Yes...it's metallic thread. I maybe able to source it but I've never done anything more complex with a rod then cleaning the cork with windex lol.

I'll watch some youtube vids and see if I can muster up the courage to do it myself. I actually found the #10 fuji sic guide online for about $10usd.
Patience comes to those who wait

pointbob

Quote from: thorhammer on December 13, 2022, 08:29:33 PMGorgeous rod! Is the green thread metallic? It is possible it is Gudebrod green metallic, but that and the silver is pretty closely matched with current metallics. Those are simple wraps. You won't be able to heat up and slide out, but if I was asked what's the easiest guide for me to wrap, it's that exact one. Big enough to handle easily and double-footed so you can tape one side with worrying about gluing before wrap like a teeny single foot.

I've probably spent too much time looking at epoxy online - but are you saying the standard 5min epoxy I can get at walmart will be ok to coat the thread with? or should i go with the 15min epoxy...to even complicate it more people are saying clear gorilla glue is great too...but the concerns' i've seen about epoxy is that it may crack under load when the rod bends...is this something I should be concerned about? I really don't want to buy the a ton of rod epoxy for one guide so I'd like to be able to get by with a suitable substitute...thank you!

jurelometer

Quote from: pointbob on December 15, 2022, 02:58:49 AM

I've probably spent too much time looking at epoxy online - but are you saying the standard 5min epoxy I can get at walmart will be ok to coat the thread with? or should i go with the 15min epoxy...to even complicate it more people are saying clear gorilla glue is great too...but the concerns' i've seen about epoxy is that it may crack under load when the rod bends...is this something I should be concerned about? I really don't want to buy the a ton of rod epoxy for one guide so I'd like to be able to get by with a suitable substitute...thank you!

5 minute epoxy is definitely doable if you work very fast. You need it to be thin enough to penetrate the thread or you will end up with a guide that spins around the blank.  It also yellows pretty fast when exposed to the sun.

They sell these little 6 gram packets of rod finish epoxy  for about  3-4 bucks, which would be ideal if you can get it from a local tackle shop and not have to fork over shipping.

The nice thing about using epoxy is that it not not permanent.  If you need to make a second attempt or decide to later hire a pro, the work can be undone.  I wouldn't mess around with other types of glues unless I could convince myself that it wouldn't be too hard to strip off and rewrap.

Swami805

Here's some older mettalic green and silver, if this will work I'll send it to you
You can buy a one shot kit of rod epoxy that should cover that, might be ok to recoat the other guides to seal up any cracks that have developed over the years
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pointbob

Quote from: Swami805 on December 15, 2022, 03:34:23 AMHere's some older mettalic green and silver, if this will work I'll send it to you
You can buy a one shot kit of rod epoxy that should cover that, might be ok to recoat the other guides to seal up any cracks that have developed over the years

You are too kind Swami!! I'm going to go thru my 12 boxes of fly tying gear and see if I don't have one that will substitute. Thank you again for your offer :)

pointbob

Quote from: jurelometer on December 15, 2022, 03:23:14 AM

5 minute epoxy is definitely doable if you work very fast. You need it to be thin enough to penetrate the thread or you will end up with a guide that spins around the blank.  It also yellows pretty fast when exposed to the sun.

They sell these little 6 gram packets of rod finish epoxy  for about  3-4 bucks, which would be ideal if you can get it from a local tackle shop and not have to fork over shipping.

The nice thing about using epoxy is that it not not permanent.  If you need to make a second attempt or decide to later hire a pro, the work can be undone.  I wouldn't mess around with other types of glues unless I could convince myself that it wouldn't be too hard to strip off and rewrap.

Thanks a lot jurelometer - I'll be grabbing that epoxy then. Appreciated!

JasonGotaProblem

I've found a drop or two of acetone into 5 min epoxy (AFTER MIXING NOT BEFORE) will thin it a bit and also turn it into 10 min epoxy without negatively impacting the end result.
But it will yellow. Like crazy. If thats an issue its worth getting rod epoxy if not, no problem.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

day0ne

Not know but, well, no. Use rod finish. 5 minute or even regular epoxy looks like crap. I know, I've used it. They are a glue, not a finish. Use a good rod finish epoxy like D2 or you will be disappointed and don't forget the color preserver first. If you are going to do it, do it right.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

jurelometer

On the color preservative, it depends on how the other guides were wrapped.  It the wraps are a bit translucent, then no color preservative was used.  Even if color preservative was used, skipping it won't be as obvious with metallic thread.  Just a bit darker.

CP works by coating the wraps so that the epoxy does not penetrate.  which also means slightly less effective wraps.  It is fairly common to not use CP on rods without underwraps, especially custom builds.  If you take a few sample turns of the new thread  and wet (with alcohol?) you will get an idea of what the wrap will look like after epoxy with no CP.

It has been my experience that when I do a less than perfect guide replacement, nobody notices but me, and after a couple fish, I don't notice either.

YMMV.

-J

oc1

A master couldn't make a new guide wrapping look exactly like the rest of the guide wrappings If you have the thread and the finishing materials them you might as well re-wrap the whole rod.  If you don't care if it matches then you have a lot of latitude and anything coated in 5-minute epoxy will work.