tld 20/25

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward, ivansfo, hafizanmansor, makersmark03, Calingfornia Dreamin and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cmart104

Hey everyone! I was fishing my TLD25 last weekend, and the handle stopped spinning. I took it apart and found out that the main gear and its shaft are stuck inside the side plate. I was able to hammer through most of the way, but am still not able to get it completely out. I am afraid to hit it too hard, because I don't want to bend or break anything. has anyone else had this problem or know a safe way for un-jamming the main gear? Thanks a lot. Please reply on this forum, or send me a message or emal.

redsetta

G'day and welcome Cmart,
This isn't uncommon, though binding up quite as much as it has isn't usual.
Try using a little penetrating oil (or similar) down the spindle.
Then, if it's protruding far enough, grasp the main gear (wrapped in a cloth) and turn it back and forth.
Once you've got a bit of movement, add more oil (or 556 etc) and continue until it frees up - it's worked for me in the past.
Hitting the spindle too hard is likely to damage the thread, but - if it's still jammed tight - careful use of force maybe the only option. Just be sure to use a punch or the back of an old drill bit that's only slightly smaller than the diameter of the spindle sleeve. That'll minimise the likelihood of hitting the spindle at an angle.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

there are several products like this one.  http://www.loctitefreezeandrelease.com/  i've actually had a few successes.  really, though, it sounds like one more tap should do it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cathauler65

Alan

Looking to overhaul my TLD20s, also making modifications as per your tutorial. Obviously can get additional bellville washers from Shimano UK but can the drag plate shim washers be sourced from Shimano or is this a part only available from yourself?

If only available from you, can you tell me the price for 4 x shims inc postage to UK?

Thanks in advance

alantani

what i can do is just drop four washers in a plain letter envelope and put three stamps on it.  they should fly right through.  please send a pm with your address.  alan

Snagged2

I just got one of the TLD 20's on my bench..

It seems to be working fine, just wanting to go through it,, and freshen up the bearings and drags,, and become familiar with it.

Just in time tutorial!!

Where would a tackle junky obtain one of those Shimano specific "spanner" wrenches??

redsetta

G'day Greg,
I've got several - happy to pop one in the post tomorrow if you like.
Post from NZ will probably take a week or more though.
Over to you.
Cheers, Justin

Snagged2

Hi Justin,
Great offer..
If I can't find those closer,, may try and work a trade or something!!

Thank you,
Greg

redsetta

If you need it, it's yours FOC...
Just to confirm, is this the one you're after?

Snagged2

Yes,That's the one shown in the schematic..  ;)

Many Thanks, Justin

Ken_D

Great Tutorial, Alan !!!!  

cathauler65

Can anyone help me? With the upgrades to my TLD20 as per Alan's tutorial I can still only get @11Lb at strike & @18lb at full.

The factory belleville configuration of |()() on my reel measured 4.54mm against the stated 4.61mm in the tutorial. in the configuration (())) I've got 4.61mm against the 4.52mm in the tutorial.

Alan, the bellevilles you sent me are each around 1.16mm thick; the ones in my reel are 0.99mm and seem less 'cupped'.

No problem for me to get all new belleville washers but surely this should not affect the top drag achievable, just how progressive the drag is?? Am I right in thinking that flattened bellevilles should make the drag ramp  up quicker?

BahamaLure

great tutorial, I am about to tear into my old TLD 25, but I do not have Key#230 for re-assembly. Is this critical? is there an alternative? Thanks!
Alan

cathauler65

The only thing you'll need it for is to unscrew & replace the cooling shield. This tends to be loose enough to undo by hand when you open a reel. To really tighten it down when re-assembling you need the proper tool. As previously noted, this part has a reverse thread.

alantani

ken, dawn from smoothdrag makes a wrench also.  take a look at that one.  the exact order doesn't really matter that much, as long as the result is the same! 

rob, 11 pounds is too little.  any possibility that you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?  can you try changing the order of the bellevilles?  you should get 18 pounds at strike before losing freespool.

i'm losing it.  i have the most recent shimano schematic and i do not see a key #230.  is that the wrench?