tld 20/25

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward, ivansfo, hafizanmansor, makersmark03, Calingfornia Dreamin and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

handi2

I need the pinion bearing size please. It's not in my notes.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on February 03, 2023, 12:04:23 AMI need the pinion bearing size please. It's not in my notes.

Keith

according to my notes is TLD 20 II and 30 II pinion bearing size is 9x20x6

The Baja Guy

handi2

Thanks

I need the TLD single speed please
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: steelfish on February 03, 2023, 12:30:18 AM
Quote from: handi2 on February 03, 2023, 12:04:23 AMI need the pinion bearing size please. It's not in my notes.

Keith

according to my notes is TLD 20 II and 30 II pinion bearing size is 9x20x6

It's the same on both reels.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wilmar

Hey all,
I've got an interesting issue with a used TLD 20 I just got in the mail so I could try my hand at a lever drag.  Made in Malaysia, no corrosion, seems nearly new - spool looks like it was never filled with line, dry as a bone inside, strong grinding feel and catching when I turned it the first time.  It was advertised as working as it should/no returns ....

I thought it would be the side plate bearing, nope the bearing is fine - the main gear must ever so slightly be bent out of 90 degree in relation to the post.  Underside of the main gear grinds against the dog at the "low" part of the main gear each revolution even when I have the reel apart and pinion gear is not involved.  Has anyone ever encountered this before? 

So I'm trying to figure out how this happened, factory error?, is the post for the dog not seated in the plastic side plate as deeply as it should be, is the dog too thick, or was it simply a factory defect and the main main gear assembly was bad from the start?

I figure I will need a new main gear, pinion gear and dog just to fix the drive train let alone upgrading the drag for carbon fiber and Alan's magical tweaks.  And that's before I have started working on the lever drag to see what kind of shape that's in.

So, would you try to save this reel, I paid $90 for the reel.  And again, how could this even happen in the first place?

Thanks,  Chip

Hardy Boy

Is there a small crack anywhere on the side plate ?? You will have to look very closely. See if there is. A new side plate is not expensive. I have not seen issues with the main gears and it takes a lot of fishing to wear them out. look for a crack.
Todd

Wilmar

No, no Crack.  Looks barely used.  I paid special attention to the graphite frame on this thing.  No cracks.

Hardy Boy

The side plate not the frame. May be hair line.
Todd

Wilmar

Nope.  Not on side plate either. 
I keep wondering if the main gear assembly wasn't pressed together wrong at the factory and put a wobble onto the main gear.
Which I assume has already irreversably chewed up the main and pinion gears and is eating into the dog.
I don't know how else the gear would get a wobble.

jurelometer

I seem to remember something like this in another TLD thread.  If the main gear is press fit/peened onto the end of the shaft, it could have gotten off alignment. Or something similar?

Looking at the photos at the top  of this thread Haven't been inside a TLD in awhile.

-J

Wilmar

Yeah,
I think the main gear was either originally pressed together a bit "off" at the factory or the dog was cut too thick and that caused the gear to shift on the pressed in shaft, or the dog post sits too proud out of the side plate and that raises the dog too high and that shifted the gear on the shaft.

Something happened at the shimano factory I think.  Not too happy with shimano on this particular reel.