tld 20/25

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akfish

Braid works fine on that reel. The only problem is that because it is a graphite (read: plastic) reel, pushing the drag past about 20# will crunch the pinion bearing, torque the frame, and cause all sorts of problems.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tarponjack

Ok, so it doesn't matter what line I use, just don't push it past 20#.

Guess I'll use braid in quantity then.
How about long runs at 18# of drag? Does it heat up the reel?

akfish

I don't know if heat is a problem; it really shouldn't be but the fish up here in Alaska don't run like a wahoo. But if it were me and I needed a reel to fish 18# of drag all day, I'd get something with a metal frame. My understanding is that the "25" in the name "TLD 25" meant that the reel was optimized for 25# line -- maybe for king mackerel or Atlantic sailfish.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tarponjack

Quote from: akfish on November 20, 2012, 03:49:07 PM
I don't know if heat is a problem; it really shouldn't be but the fish up here in Alaska don't run like a wahoo. But if it were me and I needed a reel to fish 18# of drag all day, I'd get something with a metal frame. My understanding is that the "25" in the name "TLD 25" meant that the reel was optimized for 25# line -- maybe for king mackerel or Atlantic sailfish.

Well, I've bought the reel already, so I'll just work with it.

Thanks for the advice, when I get more proficient with conventional reels then I will upgrade ...

Ken_D

Hi, Folks.... if there is a thread showing the TLD0215, or the TT00573 pinion bearing size, for the TLD20, I missed it, can't find it.

I measured 9 x 18 x 5. A fast spin around the Boca and VXB sites reveals no ball bearing of that dimension
showing. This can mean there is indeed exclusivity with Shimano that size, or I measured wrong.

Whereas the audience here is made up of mostly USA folks, to them it's no big deal to spend 15.00 and postage
for the bb. However, with the CAD at par with the USD, a bb landed here is about 26.00, (nearly double) because of freight, tax, and starting price.

May as well try for a lesser cost generic.  Thx,,, KD.

alantani

i have 8x19x6 written down for the right main side plate bearing, and i have that bearing.  it's $11.  shipping to canada should be $3.  ken, double check those measurements.  and let me know if you want me to ship you a bearing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

Thanks, Alan.... I will re-measure, cheers, KD.

milkman

Question Alan - have just done a basic service on my TLD-25, thanks to this tutorial and all went pretty well..  (first OH reel I have ever opened!), Couple of things I noticed - the "bent" Pre-load springs (look like washers) that you mention in the tutorial - weren't actually bent? they were all straight - so left them as is....
Also - I used Inox Grease on ALL the bearings (since unlike yours in the tutorial) they were not shielded?  Factory fitted like this so not sure why the difference?  Anyway I thought by loading up the bearings with grease (including spool bearings) it acts a bit like a water seal to the open bearing...I now notice you say DON'T Grease the Spool Bearings...will it be a problem if these 2 or 3 spool Bearings are greased? 

thanks!

MM

alantani

you will be fine if you pack the spool bearings with grease.  the bearings last longer but will not spin well.  not a problem for trolling.

milkman

Awesome news, thanks for the quick reply Alan!

davros-1

Quote from: alantani on December 07, 2008, 05:11:22 PM
here is a link to the schematics for the single speed tld 20 and 25 reels.....

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/TLD_20_ARB_v1_m56577569830570244.pdf

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/TLD_25_ARB_v1_m56577569830570245.pdf

Hi, I am impressed by the tutorial, and look forward to servicing my just purchased secondhand TLD25.  I cannot get the links for the schematics to download, is there an alternative available by any chance?

Cheers from South Oz.

alantani

erikpowell

Bula Alan & Gang,
I have what I suspect may be a dumb question, but I'll ask because I've seen this numerous times on these reels:

In order for the TLD reel to operate properly, is it necessary for the pinion gear (key 168) to slide in and out of the pinion guard (key 196),
as if to "disengage"?   ???  Or are they only two pieces which function as one because it's cheaper to manufacture that way?

Here's the schematic link if you want to check

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/TLD_25_ARB_v1_m56577569830570245.pdf

Reason I ask, is some TLD's in need of quick turnaround have the pinion gear seized in the collar and I can't get pull them apart.
( parts are in the freezer as we speak  ;) )

The reels are already cleaned up, fresh Smooothdrag bearing sets & Carbontex installed, and await the outcome of the pinion surgery...
If I can't free them up this go around, I was gonna just slap em back in and call er done.
What do you reckon?
mucha vinaka,
Erik

alantani

if you have the pinion gear and bearing out, then just tap out the pinion gear and get a new bearing. 

shearb

My probelm is, there is a bearing that wont come out of the pinion guard (key #196) and the guard is corroded very bad, but trying to clean it up, I might need to order a new pinion guard but can't find them anywhere. Does anyone have one/know site to order?

Yes -- I tried pulling the bearing out with my bearing puller  ;D and soaked it wd40/water,soap/corriosion x still nothing!