a couple of small ambassadeurs

Started by DougK, December 05, 2022, 05:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougK

Abu 3500C which is essentially a 2500C with a palming side plate, and a 4600CB.

The CB is a curiosity which has a self-centering disengaged level wind when casting. I have an Avail spool for this but have not yet overhauled the reel. So far I can see how the levelwind disengages, but not how it knows how to self-center. There's a copper spring on the spool shaft between the spool and the levelwind gear on the spool. The copper spring is a kind of one-way ratchet, allows spool to turn freely while line paying out and engages when winding in. so that explains the stationary levelwind, not how it knows when to stop..

The other interesting q is, does the spool spinning inside that copper spring have more resistance than driving a levelwind ? probably not right ?

The 3500 has Mike's Reel Repair ceramic bearings and a ceramic pawl with an Avail spool. The bearings are excellent. There was still some problem with the reel as the spool did not run freely in casting, neither the Avail nor the original.  I find a drop of oil on the spool shaft where it goes through the pinion gear, is a drop too much.. polished the shaft and inside the pinion with fine steel wool then metal polish, put on a drop of TS321 and wiped it off, now it spins well.
As soon as the water here gets soft again I'll see how it fishes..

thorhammer