What Do I Have Here?

Started by akroper, January 03, 2023, 06:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akroper

I acquired this reel a few days ago.  It is badged as a 441N, and it is a higher speed retrieve compared to my other 440N's.  The rotor has been painted a golden tan color.  I kind of like it, but I will probably paint it with VHT black crinkle paint.
P1040419.JPG
P1040420.JPG 
When I opened it up. I found that it was very clean and had been lubed with what looks like Cal's tan grease. 
P1040424.JPG
The oscillating slider was held in place on the shaft with a tiny bolt (not screwed in, just sitting in the hole) and a matching nut was laying in the bottom of the housing.  Isn't there just an unthreaded pin that fits that attachment point?  The oscillatng slider does not look right to me.  Did the high-speed versions have a different part?
P1040425.JPG
P1040426.JPGP1040427.JPG 
Both the pinion nut and drive washer are split.  What the heck is this?
P1040428.JPG
Any comments or info is appreciated.
P1040416.JPG
I've been selling off all my black and gold Penn spinners, mostly XX0 all metal reels, and I am making progress in assembling a lineup of DQ reels. Some I have given a complete teardown, repaint, polishing, and lube service, some I've not touched yet.  My wife and I are leaving Friday for some Arizona sun until the end of March. While I'm there, I'm going to assemble a few rod/reel combos with the goal of fishing with nothing that is less than fifty years old.  I'm particularly intrigued by some of the square and D-shaped rods of that vintage. I'm thinking a square Wright McGill glass rod paired with an appropriate Shakespeare royal maroon reel would be just the ticket.
Best Regards,
Ron   

Forgive me for the double posted photos.  Still trying to figure out how to remove them.   

Nine of the eleven voices in my head are telling me to go fishing today.

foakes

Hi Ron

There are numerous possibilities as to why this DQ 441N was modified.

But using Occam's Razor stating that the simplest explanation is generally the culprit — would point to someone acquiring this reel used —- it was set up with the less common crank on the right —- and they wanted the crank on the more common left side.

The way to accomplish this properly is to just change out the oscillation arm.  These reels come new with (2) mirror image opposite oscillation arms —- left & right.  The one for the left hand cranking was likely long gone, along with the box, owners manual, spare bail spring, etc..

So they just Rube Goldberged the existing oscillation arm by cutting off the double ear flaps, grinding it smooth —- then also installing a screw and nut —- which will never work well.

As for the split drive plate and rotor hex nut —- who knows?

To bring it back to factory original —- all you need is a new oscillation arm, pin, drive plate, rotor hex nut, and a maroon crank grip.  You can also paint and bake the gold rotor with VHT wrinkle flat black paint in a rattle can.  Everything else is there.

If you decide to do this, I have the small amount of parts you will require, plus a rotor if you wish.

Great reels!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

I like the unique aesthetic of the exterior of your modified reel. If it were mine, I would take Fred's advice and replace the oscillation arm and the split nut and washer. You'll end up with a one-of-a-kind reel.
-Mike