Ugly Stik Lite Reel Seat

Started by jgp12000, December 13, 2022, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

As above, just replace the locknut. Taking the seat off is going to be a lot more work.

jgp12000

John,
I ordered a seat from amazon that has the size 16 nut in it.I had some cork but it comes with some.If you havent sent yet I think this will work but thank you if you did already!.It has made me want to build a rod or learn how.Sounds addictive!Also,if you guys never heard of shoe goo its great stuff,waterproof.I used it to glue some pvc conduit in the side groove of my john boat to run some wires.20 years aint budged,I think the conduit would give fore the shoe goo!

oldmanjoe

Well now you did it :  You are going to get a crash course in rod building !   The other day when i said wrap the nut like a guide , this is what i meant with pictures .    Raw thread and needs a little more packing of the threads before putting on epoxy finish .

Are you going to replace the front grip now , or are you going from the seat on back ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jgp12000

That looks great Joe! The seat kit comes Friday I may go the easy route and just replace the nut and grip. I have watched some  youtubes of makeshift lathes with an angle grinder to remove the excess cork and taper the handle down with 80 or 120 grit abrasive cloth. Amazon has some cheap rod building lathes but if I do that I could have bought another new rod...One of the videos mentioned "Rod Dancer Pit paste" for filling in voids in the cork, I kinda like some voids gives the cork character.

thorhammer

sanding a wine cork and mixing the dust with some shoe goo works as well if not better on the pits. Then you gotta drink the wine while watching it dry.

jgp12000

Well John we are having some good wine drinking/fireplace weather here, I will have to try that!

thorhammer

BAM. I love a two for one special

Midway Tommy

I found rotted wood restorer two part epoxy filler works great for filling cork voids that really need to filled. It's way better than one part fillers, doesn't fall out, sands easyily and matches cork color fairly closely. Most people wouldn't even notice it was there. You can mix up as much or little as your work time allows. Let it set up and sand it a little to smooth it out.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

I got that grip kit off amazon just used the nut the grip werent even solid cork,foam covered with cork tape,WTH.I ended up covering that crap up with shrink grip anywho.It's oh black betty bam alam.That Mitchell 310 with 8 BB is slick  I tell u what!

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood

thorhammer