International travel rod

Started by farmer56, December 13, 2022, 10:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer56

Can you tell me what the line rating or lure weight range of this rod .  Bought in the early 80's i think .  black canvas bag tight on a plastic tube. zipper on one end . rod reads Penn International USA 1370 SM IGFA 12 lb    6 kg .  rod is 3 piece black with very nice extended butt cork handle spinning reel seat ..  thanks Dennis   farmer56

farmer56

farmer56 here ,  i thought the Penn guy would know something about this old rod , never used . thanks  dennis

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Tunanorth

I have no info on that rod specifically, but as noted, the labeling indicates that it was designed as an IGFA "12 pound class" rod. Likely it would fish fine one bump up, or one bump down from 12 also. Probably 3/8-3/4 ounce lures would cast best. Be cautious, as multi-piece travel rods can't usually handle a lot of heavy pulling. 

farmer56

farmer56 here again... not to sound stupid but in the center of the country Mn. in particular, we never heard of the IGFA. we were just trying to catch walleye , northern pike , etc. In our world we only new "casts 4-12 lb. line or 6-17 lb. line . then on top of that they would give an ounce rating of what it can handle .3/8 -3/4 oz.   or 1/2-1 1/2 or 1/8 -3/8 you get the picture ....So i am lost with all the 12 lb.  20 lb.  30 lb. 40 lb. rod and reel set-ups... Maybe my 66 year old brain may never grasp this foreign concept...My boys say i am still trainable ..  i have my doubts ,,  sorry so long  dennis

Swami805

They use those line class ratings for guys looking to set igfa records. Is a little odd way to rate a rod though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

Quote from: Tunanorth on December 16, 2022, 05:44:22 PMI have no info on that rod specifically, but as noted, the labeling indicates that it was designed as an IGFA "12 pound class" rod. Likely it would fish fine one bump up, or one bump down from 12 also. Probably 3/8-3/4 ounce lures would cast best. Be cautious, as multi-piece travel rods can't usually handle a lot of heavy pulling. 

Can't comment on this particular rod but I have found several different multi-piece travel rod suppliers that handle heavy pulling just fine.  From the heavier saltwater three piece conventional end down to 4 piece fly rods (which bend more placing more stress on the extra ferrules).  Nearly all fly rods sold today are travel rods, even the bluewater rods used for marlin.

Travel rod specific failures are usually the result of the ferrules getting a little loose. Some get worn down from use, some are poorly fitted from the factory.  Good idea to keep an eye on ferrule tightness when fishing and use a light coat of paraffin wax on glass or carbon fiber ferrules.

Keep an eye on how fast the ferrules loosen when you first start using it.  Some rods are good all day, and some you have to keep an eye on.  It is usually casting that causes ferrules to get loose, but vibrations from the boat ride can do it too.

Quote from: farmer56 on December 16, 2022, 06:07:58 PMIn our world we only new "casts 4-12 lb. line or 6-17 lb. line . then on top of that they would give an ounce rating of what it can handle .3/8 -3/4 oz.  or 1/2-1 1/2 or 1/8 -3/8 you get the picture ....So i am lost with all the 12 lb.  20 lb.  30 lb. 40 lb. rod and reel set-ups... 

It is confusing!

Two different terminologies.

IGFA 12 lb Class means that the rod's sweet spot should be with tournament 12 Lb  line (breaks under 12lb).  Since regular non-IGFA class line breaks quite a bit over stated strength, I would guess that this rod would fish something around 8-15 lb regular non IGFA rated mono.

Back in the day, rods that were marketed as premium would often have an IGFA class on the label.  I had some old trollers (Fenwick?) that had both IGFA and "normal" line ratings (something like "IGFA 20  12-30")

This 30 lb, 40lb, 50lb outfit  thing is (mostly) SoCal long ranger lingo.  Back in the days of mono, a 30lb rod would be designed to be ideally strung up with 30lb non-IGFA mono, and therefore about 8-10 lbs max drag.  It got more vague with modern braid.  Folks started putting something like 65 lb spectra on the same 30 lb class rod, but the drag may or may not be set to 10 lbs. 

I think it still means what  size mono the  outfit would be fished with,  but am a bit confused, on exactly what this means nowadays myself, and wouldn't mind a bit of enlightenment.

-J

farmer56

Jurelometer thanks again , you do speak a language i seam to be able to grasp ..