Just serviced a 2080 and 2090 Sea Wonder ..

Started by basenjib123, March 07, 2019, 07:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

I have to say that these are some of the best built spinning reels that I have ever worked on.  Sad to see what so many once great tackle companies have now become.....greed is a terrible thing.

foakes

Quote from: basenjib123 on March 07, 2019, 07:29:42 PM
I have to say that these are some of the best built spinning reels that I have ever worked on.  Sad to see what so many once great tackle companies have now become.....greed is a terrible thing.

Corporate greed is one factor, Joe — however, the other (3) are:

* Competition from less expensive and sleeker looking modern reels primarily manufactured in countries where the cost of materials and wages are perhaps less than half of US companies.

* Consumers just wanting the sharpest looking product at the lowest price.

* The consumer idea that "well, it will probably last a few seasons, and it is cheap enough for me to just toss it and buy another, since it would cost as much to service it as a new one might in 3 years".

There are many other factors — and we can all come up with our own ideas. 

Shakespeare, along with a 100 other tackle manufacturers — wanted to produce a well-made quality product that would last an anglers lifetime — in the end, it did not work out.

We need to remember, that maybe only 10% of the angling consumers in the world (like those on this site) — have the knowledge and appreciation of what a quality fishing reel really is.

I have a high respect for companies such as Penn — that have been able to adapt to changing market conditions — while keeping a top-quality identity.

Penn is the exception, rather than the rule.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basenjib123

You're right Fred,  lots of factors come into it.  I guess we are a dying breed trying to keep these old timers going. 

ST.NicksCobia

Does anyone know how to remove a bearing from a Shakespeare 2090 or 2080 Spinning Reel —I can remove the pinion gear with the bearing but want to put a new bearing on the pinion gear and reinstall on the Reel —

foakes

Quote from: ST.NicksCobia on March 17, 2024, 12:29:02 PMDoes anyone know how to remove a bearing from a Shakespeare 2090 or 2080 Spinning Reel —I can remove the pinion gear with the bearing but want to put a new bearing on the pinion gear and reinstall on the Reel —

If it is a tight fit and not rusted badly —- I just use a block of wood with a hole drilled in it.

Drop the pinion worm gear into the hole —- then a couple of sharp blows with either a vinyl-faced hammer will separate the gear and bearing.  Put a rag or shop cloth under to catch the gear so that it isn't damaged.

You can also use a regular hammer with a block of wood so that the pinion will not be damaged.

Same process for reinstallation.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

When a person works on or uses one of the "old time" reels, it is like stepping back in time.  If you get one of the really good old ones (and these Shakespeares certainly qualify), you will have a product from a time when quality was a necessity if you wanted something to last and be repairable/maintainable.  Being able to repair and keep one of the good old ones went hand in hand with building them as quality machines.  Sure, you can find lots of old reels that were intended to be cheap to buy (sorta like a lot of today's reels) and they will not meet the quality specs of the top quality products.  Maintenance was expected of these top shelf oldies, and relatively low labor repair costs allowed it to happen for those who really wanted to keep their gear in good condition.  Sure, halfway decent modern reels will match the performance (or, at least, come close) of the old quality reels the first time you use them, but over time, they will lose their edge and will not be as maintainable as an old reel was 50 years ago, either because parts aren't there or labor costs are too high compared to just buying new.

I did a cost comparison awhile back on some of the old reels.  A Shakespeare 2052, still considered today as a great ultralight reel by many, went for $30 US in 1967; that translates to an approximate $230 cost today with inflation.  A Shakespeare 2081 (successor to the Sea Wonder 2080) sold for $48 in 1968; inflation makes that around $350 today.  There is, I submit, only a limited market today for reels costing $350 apiece.  I'm sure there are some models out there, and some folks willing to buy them.  They are not sold at WalMart at all, and maybe only sold to a select few at Cabelas or any of the big sporting goods stores.  It's just a different world. 

As for reels, I'm pretty happy living in the past.

Frank