Penn Conflict 8000

Started by edgarz, July 20, 2016, 02:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edgarz

Hello everyone. Any feedback on this reel? I'm looking at getting one for the big mothers and was thinking if it would stand up to it. I know that there other reels out there that would be better suited for the job but I don't want to break the bank either. Sure would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

johndtuttle

Quote from: edgarz on July 20, 2016, 02:39:11 PM
Hello everyone. Any feedback on this reel? I'm looking at getting one for the big mothers and was thinking if it would stand up to it. I know that there other reels out there that would be better suited for the job but I don't want to break the bank either. Sure would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

The Conflict has performed very well for the money and is a solid budget reel.

However, what kind of big mothers are we talking about? Muskie? Perch? Or Tuna? :D

Any way you can swing it I would always recommend the extra money (~ +$60 on flea bay) for a Clash and it's all Brass drive train. Smooth and strong with superior sealing of the pinion assembly/Clutch than a Conflict.

reserving the right to make other recs depending on the "mothers" involved. ;)

MarkT

I've caught 30# Yellowtail and YFT with my Battle 6000.  A Conflict 8000 should be able to do a lot better than that!  A guy on my 10 day last year got a Wahoo on his Battle II 8000.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

handi2

All the ones mentioned are very good reels.

I've been using a plain old Daiwa Saltist 6500H for years now no on big fish and it's never given up and just now added a Shimano Twinpower. The Saltist has caught many big Amberjack and 30+lb Tuna.u

I have however repaired more of other Saltist reels with major breakage. Broken main gears and bail assemblies are some of the major items.

Repairing the Penn reels has mostly been from wear. No major parts breakdown and only wear items being replaced.

I have sold a few Penn Clash reels through the shop with the largest being the 6000. They are mighty nice and very smooth. If going with Penn in the larger reels the Clash and SSV are hard to beat.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

edgarz

Thanks for the replies JDT, MT and H2.

I plan on using it on deep dwellers thus the line capacity needed. Would be nice to have a Saragosa 25000 or a Cabo 120 but again if the budget reel can take the abuse then I'll take it.

My Penn SSV 4500 has taken a lot of abuse including a 60# ray and still is in battle condition except for a replacement line roller. But again you'll never know when the big mama will bite  ;)

akfish

If it were me, I'd hold out for a Slammer III...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

edgarz

Looking at a present day Slammer akfish. After eight years my SSV 4500 is still doing rather well. Happy new year!
received_409738397652326.jpeg

handi2

The SSV 4500 is used by many inshore fishing charters. It's a beast of a little reel
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL