Help on zangi delfino. Rotor removal

Started by Fishgolfman, December 18, 2022, 02:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

I got two Delfino that are just tanks for fishing. Both loaded solid with grease. After lots of penetrating oil. Freed up internals only to find I can't remove rotor. The rotor nut size is unusual and clearance for a socket limited. There a trick or two? I need to access the bail stop plunger that engages bail. Totally gummed up. I have tried external plunger access with lots of penetrating oils to free up.

foakes

Tom, MidwayTommy, is our expert on these —-

He will likely be along shortly with vast knowledge of this reel.

2 things —-

On the socket size —- sometimes the right socket size needs to be located —- then grind down the outside of the socket to make it thinner-walled.

Also, some of the European reels from that vintage had reverse (counter-clockwise threads on the pinion that the rotor nut attaches to).

Make sure that you are turning it in the proper direction.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishgolfman

Thanks Fred. Not a Dam Quick or Penn question which you are recognized expert,just a thoughtful answer and solution .

Fishgolfman

Discovered there are thin wall sockets! Will have to buy a set.

Midway Tommy

Fred's right on the money with his advice. The pinion and nut are reverse thread. The nut is 17mm and you'll have to grind the socket wall down so it's thin walled to fit in the groove. I ground down my regular Craftsman 3/8 drive 17mm, used a short extension and replaced the socket in my set with a new one. Take care with those brass nuts as they break or crack very easily. Don't torque them much.

The tutorial takes you through the assembly process step by step. Disassembly is just the opposite. Most everything you need to know is there.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

Thanks Tommy. I will try buying a thin wall metric socket set first before grinding. The 17mm number is critical as well as torque direction. Cant

PacRat

I have modified a lot of sockets and wrenches to fit specific needs (mostly for my vehicles). In most cases the socket will still work on anything else you work on. From the photo it looks like you can just bevel the edge enough to allow the socket to grip without the need to thin the wall. Over a lifetime your tools become personalized for your needs and your jobs become easier without the struggles of an il-fitting tool.

If I were doing this I would first grind the open face at 90 degrees (maybe remove 0.02") so that the points are crisp at the edge. Then bevel (or chamfer) the edge at 45 degrees to fit. Just remove a little at a time until the fit is optimal.

alantani

yup, you may have to make a thin walled socket.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: PacRat on December 18, 2022, 06:54:48 PMI have modified a lot of sockets and wrenches to fit specific needs (mostly for my vehicles). In most cases the socket will still work on anything else you work on. From the photo it looks like you can just bevel the edge enough to allow the socket to grip without the need to thin the wall. Over a lifetime your tools become personalized for your needs and your jobs become easier without the struggles of an il-fitting tool.

If I were doing this I would first grind the open face at 90 degrees (maybe remove 0.02") so that the points are crisp at the edge. Then bevel (or chamfer) the edge at 45 degrees to fit. Just remove a little at a time until the fit is optimal.

One thing for sure, the rounded outside edge needs to be filed down to a flat hex face because those Italian brass nuts are not very thick/high. That's why I chose my Craftsman 17mm, the face has minimal rounding and the wall was already fairly thin. I only had to taper it the first 1/4". I had plenty of choices to choose from in my arsenal, Snap-On, SK, Craftsman & some Asian metrics. The Craftsman came the closest and took the least grinding. It only took about 10 minutes and I was on to disassembling the two reels I was working on. Plus, replacing that socket, which I really didn't have to do, was way cheaper than buying a full thin wall set and I didn't have to wait until I got the new set. I picked up the replacement 17mm Craftsman socket later at the Pawn Shop for $1 one day when I was looking for other stuff.  ;D     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

Thin wall set arrived... still too thick. Plan b dremeling a 17mm socket. Somebody said to me get mitchell tools. Different sizes which one would work?

alantani

you may have to grind it down thinner.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

You can Chuck the socket in a drill press using an extension or a drill in a vise —- and just use a file to thin out the side about 1/4" up —- this is all you need.

Then just replace the socket in your toolbox with a new one, later on. Just like Tommy & Alan sez.

Now you have a good reel tool.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishgolfman

As suggested i got a 17mm craftsman socket. Ground down to fit with dremel tool. Will not turn in counter clockwise easily. Suggestions? I soaked area with liquid wrench. Does heating help?

foakes

It is reverse thread —- which means to remove the rotor nut requires the nut to come off "clockwise".

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Fishgolfman

THANKS. ROTOR NUT OFF EASILY. NOW THE PLUNGER ,SPRING AND SMALL SET SCREW. PLUNGER AND SPRING FROZEN. SET SCREW OFF WITH LIGUID WRENCH. THIS IS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE!!